The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD2 pictures from Huahin Market at ISO400 and 800

S

Sean_Reid

i simply miss the edginess you got with the original. again, i'm talking about enhancement. but that is, perhaps, a personal preference of mine (obviously not Sean's)
Oh no, actually I sometimes like grain quite a bit myself. It depends on the work. Mitch's call is whether or not to start adding it in.

Cheers,

Sean

cam

Oh no, actually I sometimes like grain quite a bit myself. It depends on the work. Mitch's call is whether or not to start adding it in.

Cheers,

Sean
Sean, i'm sorry if that came out mean-sounding. i completely respect your views and taste (hey, i subscribe to your reviews!). blame it on late night posting misspeak.

i've just been grappling with some of the same issues as mitch. in my case, as i am not as good as he is, i've managed to get a lot of grit out of the GRDII sometimes -- even when it isn't wanted! i was just giving input as i'm a fan of mitch's work... again, my apologies.

S

Sean_Reid

Sean, i'm sorry if that came out mean-sounding. i completely respect your views and taste (hey, i subscribe to your reviews!). blame it on late night posting misspeak.

i've just been grappling with some of the same issues as mitch. in my case, as i am not as good as he is, i've managed to get a lot of grit out of the GRDII sometimes -- even when it isn't wanted! i was just giving input as i'm a fan of mitch's work... again, my apologies.
Hi Cam,

There's nothing to apologize for at all.

Cheers,

Sean

L

LFPhoto

Thanks Mitch - great set. I am a fan of your style, and appreciate your commentary.

I know it's hard to tell with images posted on the web, but to me a number of the images composed with faces very pronounced in the foreground appear soft (as opposed to the background), and I wondered if it was motion blur, until I saw your shutter speeds, and wonder now if it may be a near DOF thing. What focus mode did you use? Thanks, Brian.

M

Mitch Alland

Thanks, LF. For the pictures where the people are near I focused at 1m, for the others I used SNAP. The focus should be correct unless there is something wrong with the camera. I think I noted in another thread that when I used SPOT focus to focus on something, say, 3m or 1m away, and then switched to MF the MF focus scale did not show these numbers; so I wonder...

—Mitch/Bngkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

P

Player

That's interesting about the sharpness. I would say that they're acceptably sharp, maybe not tack sharp. I just assumed that Mitch had rendered them as he wanted them, and they're great pictures!

I also agree with helenhill's comment about Mitch raising his small sensor photography to
"The World of Art."

L

LFPhoto

That's interesting about the sharpness. I would say that they're acceptably sharp, maybe not tack sharp. I just assumed that Mitch had rendered them as he wanted them, and they're great pictures!
My comment above was not directed at the overall sharpness of the image, but to the relative level, wherein the foreground appears softer than the background. I am assuming this in not the intention since the faces are forward in a number of the compositions, but this may be presumptuous of me. I also acknowledge that it is hard to make observations based on web images. My suspicion is that, having ruled out motion blur, there is an element of unpredictability in the near DOF under some of the focus modes. Unfortunately the EXIF data doesn't report the focus mode, so this is hard to determine. Respectfully, Brian.

M

Mitch Alland

Brian, they're all in MF, set either for 2.5m or 1m, depending on the distance of the person from me.I find that none of the AF modes are fast enough for street photography, as they induce excessive shutter delay.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They look great Mitch!

Just a reminder to you guys you have tons of free image storage space in the galleries right here, especially if flickr keeps dropping your links.

S

Sean_Reid

Brian, they're all in MF, set either for 2.5m or 1m, depending on the distance of the person from me.I find that none of the AF modes are fast enough for street photography, as they induce excessive shutter delay.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Hi Mitch,

AF delay, actually, and I agree with you completely. One difference with the Ricohs is that they respond with virtually no lag when manually focused and this is not the case with some other small sensor cameras.

The only small sensor camera I've tested that almost was able to AF quickly was the older Sony V1.

Cheers,

Sean

trisberg

Sean or Mitch,

Can you pre-focus (half-way press and hold shutter release) and lock the focus? If you can, is the shutter lag as short then as when you focus manually? Any comparisons to Canon G9 in regards to shutter lag?

Thanks,
Thomas

M

Mitch Alland

Thomas:

Yes, you can do a half-shutter press to prefocus but I haven't tested this because, with the huge DOF of this camera, it's a lot more convenient to use MF to pre-focus — and I suspect a lot faster too.

—Mitch/Bangkok

M

Mitch Alland

As I've reworked two of the pictures above, which will make them disappear in the posting above, here are the new versions, in which I've pushed the the dark tones lower, following the logic of the look (at least to me) and have increased contrast to compensate for this as well:

—Mitch/Bangkok