The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please share your settings for GRD2-My1 & My2

J

JHolmesJr

Hi, Im a photography newbie as you might have gathered from the nature of my topic. I just got the GRD2 and I want to learn about it fast, so I can step out and take some pix.

Sure, the best way to learn is to get out there and click away but I dont want to be shooting in the dark, so to speak.

I was thinking of what settings I might want to assign to the My1 and My2 buttons: one possibility was settings for B&W and Color. Yet another was Day Settings and Night Settings.

Would be nice to hear from the seasoned ones here what values you assigned your 2 settings buttons and if possible, why you did so.

Thanks very much.

J

Last edited:
P

Player

I posted this exact question on another Ricoh forum and got one reply: 1) Night and daytime settings, and 2) Color and b&w.

J

JHolmesJr

Yeah, although what I was keen on were the exact numerical values...it seems to be a trade secret, fair enough.

S

Sean_Reid

When and if you're ready, I would recommend recording RAW files with the GR2. In RAW, those various color, contrast, sharpness, etc. settings won't apply. Instead, you might want to think about what sorts of functional settings you'd like to use often.

Cheers,

J

JHolmesJr

Aah, thanks Sean, I use a Powerbook G4 with 2G RAM, loaded with Adobe CS3 and iPhoto. With these 2 programmes, can I import and muck around with the dng files that RAW outputs. Or do I need something more? Any recommendations welcome. Cheers.

P

pfogle

This is how I set up the GX100 so some settings won't apply!

MY1 - RAW, colour, auto ISO, auto WB, full frame, 24mm (GX100 only!), multi AE, spot AF.

MY2 - jpg, b/w, ISO 200, auto WB, 3:2 aspect ratio, snap focus, spot AE, 28mm.

The idea is MY1 is a fast select for top-quality RAW, and MY2 is a fast select for a GRD equivalent b/w jpg street shooter.

Works very well in practice!

Phil

ps I use the 3:2 ratio for the b/w to emulate using a 35mm camera - I always use it with a CV 28/35mm mini OVF, so it's a bit like using an old screw-mount Leica.

S

Sean_Reid

Aah, thanks Sean, I use a Powerbook G4 with 2G RAM, loaded with Adobe CS3 and iPhoto. With these 2 programmes, can I import and muck around with the dng files that RAW outputs. Or do I need something more? Any recommendations welcome. Cheers.
CS3 will do the trick so long as the CameraRAW module is updated (if not, just get the latest free update). Also, over time, you may want to try the trial versions of Silkypix and Capture One DSLR 4.

Cheers,

Sean

J

JHolmesJr

Thanks pfogle, good stuff, I can see the logic in that.

Sean, or anyone, what about Aperture...does it allow fine tuning of RAW output in a useful way?

Cheers

S

Sean_Reid

Aperture should indeed do that but I haven't yet worked with it. I'm sure others here can comment.

Cheers,

Sean