The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pimping my DP1

fordfanjpn

Seeing all the amazing DP1 shots being posted lately, I started feeling a little embarrassed about leaving my DP1 home most of the time. So today I went out and got some bling for my DP1 to try to inspire me to take it out more often. I got a 28mm Voigtlander viewfinder, an Artisan&Artist leather case, and a modified Ricoh lens cap. Here are a few pics of my new tricked out DP1. Anyone else have pics of their DP1 that a little bit beyond the norm?

Bill

DavidE

Here's my DP1 outfitted with its unwieldy larger-than-life accoutrements. I placed opaque tape on the flash to diffuse the light (it doesn't pivot). The Sigma flash actually works pretty well as long as you use it in a relatively close range or just for fill in.

The closeup lenses are the Sigma AML-1 and Tiffen +1, +2, and +4. Stacking them like this gives the maximum magnification but also seriously degrades the image. Looks impressive though. Just the thing for the semiannual pimp-my-DP1 event. Maybe I should paint a thin red band around the outermost lens.

Please don't ask about the origins of the leather case. I might be tempted to spin a wild tale about how I found it in a Hollywood shop in an out-of-the-way alley and discovered that the case from a forgotten 1940s camera (pawned by Fritz Lang, no less) somehow fit my DP1 to a T. Otherwise I would have to tell the sorry truth (cough*ripoffSigmaprice*cough).

DavidE

Streetshooter, yep that's the one. While Lang's camera was all-digital and surprisingly small (a first for the 1940s), the photographic results did require a rather elaborate digital-to-analog conversion process (see below).

N

nei1

Subjects had to be pre digitized

Last edited:

helenhill

She's Gorgeous Miss Sigma.....
except I would not dress her w/a Viewfinder :grin:

& as for Fritz Lang ...J'ADORE his movies

needless to say I want,I want.,I want A sigma
should I just hold out for the 2

Best-H

O

Oxide Blu

Hey! The barn doors for the lens is upside down! Actually, I was looking at those things on my GX200 and wondered why Ricoh could mount it with the odd door on top, like on your DP1. Makes more sense, and won't make the GX200 sit unevenly. But, alas, not enough room under the pop up flash to mount it like on your camera. Ricoh should have designed that thing with 4 doors that each go out at 45-deg instead of just 3 doors.

Oh, and nice camera you have there. :) I also got a Voigtlander VF for the GRDII. It's great!!!

DavidE

It's horribly overpriced, but I do like the Sigma hard leather case. On my next trip, I plan to wear the DP1 around my neck with the GRD2 attached to my belt. If you're going to go photogeek, you might as well do it in style (... if only the one item, as in my case).

C

cledry

Very nice. Just one question, why are the DP1 threads list under small sensor camera? I thought that was for the likes of the Lumix and Ricoh and those sort of small sensors.

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

Hey! The barn doors for the lens is upside down! Actually, I was looking at those things on my GX200 and wondered why Ricoh could mount it with the odd door on top, like on your DP1. Makes more sense, and won't make the GX200 sit unevenly. But, alas, not enough room under the pop up flash to mount it like on your camera. Ricoh should have designed that thing with 4 doors that each go out at 45-deg instead of just 3 doors.

Oh, and nice camera you have there. :) I also got a Voigtlander VF for the GRDII. It's great!!!
Actually, it will mount either way. Just turn it half way around when putting it on. The VF is really nice. I haven't tried it yet on the GRDII.

Bill