The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia Lumia 1020 Images

scho

Haha, it is like Nokia has sent a tempter in the form of a camera update, where the options are there but not active yet ;)
Yes, and that has whipped up a frenzy of conspiracy theories suggesting that AT&T has instructed Nokia to hold off on releasing the 1020 update until AT&T has had time to sell a bunch of 1520s that come with the dng upgrade.:loco:

mazor

hmm, it could be possible, or it could be Nokia development team wants to ensure Nokia Black in a descent update, that will not allow DNG capture, but also fix the JPG issues with edge enhancement, noise reduction, colors, contrast, saturation etc.

scho

Still waiting for the mysterious Nokia Black update with DNG support, but meanwhile the 1020 still goes shopping with me.

scho

:thumbs::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Nokia Black just arrived on my 1020 and dng support is now active with the camera.

scho

A casual comparison between the Nokia 1020 DNG raw output and the Sony A7R. The Nokia 16:9 raw image was processed in LR5 and cropped to 3:2 format. The Sony A7R raw image was shot with a Canon FD 28mm f/2 lens (at f/2.8) and also processed in LR5. The screen grab comparison is at 100%. Exif intact for both.

Sony A7R

Nokia 1020

LR5 Screen Grab at 100%

mazor

wow, it is really hard to differentiate between the 1020 and the A7r apart from difference in noise and bokeh. It is very scary that the 1020 in the center can get that close to a top IQ A7r!

One thing the 1020 has over an a7r is shutter sound. The 1020 will be almost in audible, and the A7r will make a very audible shutter sound. The 1020 is more stealth!

It would be most excellent if you could do them same comparison full, nokia 1020 dng converted vs the older Nokia 808 JPG superfine ;)

Last edited:

scho

Yes, the 1020 and most likely the 808 also, can do quite well in comparison to a FF 36 MP camera. I carry either the 1020 or 808 all the time and they can provide all the backup I need for the Sony. It has turned to pouring rain here now so I'll try to do some 808 vs 1020 dng comparisons when the weather clears up.

scho

Here is the 808 sf jpg vs 1020 dng. Both shot in 4:3 mode and exposure adjusted in post. Clicking image will bring up the full size original.

mazor

Carl, it is a close call. The 1020 processed DNG does seem to reveal more detail, but it is ever so slight in the center of the frame and it does not come without sacrifice, ie noise. Towards the extends of the right, I notice a slight softening of detail, but it is almost negligible if you do not compare it against the 808. As for CA, the 808 is by far superior, which can be seen easily on the 1020 corners, with the 808 controlling it really well. Also the 808 corner detail performance overall again is still better, but we knew this was the case, and the ability to process RAW will not fix this.

What this proves is that the 808's JPG output is superior to anything out there in the phone camera world, and it takes fine RAW processing on a computer to get equal if not ever so slightly more detail from the 1020. The 808 really was ahead of it's time!

scho

Carl, it is a close call. The 1020 processed DNG does seem to reveal more detail, but it is ever so slight in the center of the frame and it does not come without sacrifice, ie noise. Towards the extends of the right, I notice a slight softening of detail, but it is almost negligible if you do not compare it against the 808. As for CA, the 808 is by far superior, which can be seen easily on the 1020 corners, with the 808 controlling it really well. Also the 808 corner detail performance overall again is still better, but we knew this was the case, and the ability to process RAW will not fix this.

What this proves is that the 808's JPG output is superior to anything out there in the phone camera world, and it takes fine RAW processing on a computer to get equal if not ever so slightly more detail from the 1020. The 808 really was ahead of it's time!
Why is Nokia shunning the 808 as if it were a bastard child? I realize that the OS is dead, but the camera technology is outstanding. Should have been carried forward into a small compact camera (no phone please) that could have blown away all the little Canikons. I guess most of the target consumer end users wouldn't have much interest in high res output.

mazor

who knows why, just of late Nokia decided to pull the plug on the weather widget. I gues the 808 will make it to the museum as one of those all time phones, where the camera exceeds the phones design life!

scho

Could be an advertisement for visine eye drops. I would have preferred un-scaled fish for this picture, but the timid yuppies rule in this market.

Nokia 1020