The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GR DII's another similarity to M8

O

odyocu

Not a good one tough.

I have discovered that the GR DII gives purple colors on fabrics under artificial lighting, very similar to M8.

I'm used to it, because I don't use the Leica filters anyway.

But this is an incredible camera, and I use it quite often instead of a V21mm on M8.

Seyhun

S

Sean_Reid

Are you seeing this with RAW files that have been white balanced in RAW conversion?

Cheers,

Sean

O

odyocu

Are you seeing this with RAW files that have been white balanced in RAW conversion?

Cheers,

Sean
Originally I had seen only the in camera JPG's. Auto WB, 1/2 sec shutter speed. Black bag became purple, similar to M8 photo. ISO 80

More interestingly, the same bag became BLUE with flash exposure while all other black items remained black, so that was not an overexposure.

Now I have seen from Capture One 4.0 the same results. All other WB adjusted, only one bag is clealy purple.

And no, I have not tried the M8 on this bag yet. But I will do it.

Would you like me to post the photos?

Best regards

Seyhun

S

Sean_Reid

I'd like to see a RAW conversion that's white balanced to a neutral grey card.

Thanks,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

I just ran some quick tests with various black fabrics and a WhiBal card for reference and I didn't see any noticeable IR color shifts. I'd love to see your examples with notes on the workflow so that I can try to replicate.

You may also want to try another RAW conversion program, for comparison, because C1 doesn't specifically have a color profile yet for the GR2 (to the best of my knowledge).

Thanks,

Sean

Last edited:
O

odyocu

Here is a photo converted with PS Elements3 to jpg. The small suitcase 2.nd from the bottom is as black as all black items in the photo. Didn't check the EXIF data, but ISO was probably 200. Artificial normal room lighting.

That item is purplish here, and almost blue with flash (not posted).

Strong resemblence to M8 in this regard.

S

Sean_Reid

This is interesting. If you get a chance, would you mind making a picture in RAW that includes the suspect materials as well as a WhiBal card? I tested with a variety of black shirts and pants and didn't see a strong shift. But it may be a matter of finding just the right materials and just the right light.

The Epson R-D1 is also sensitive to IR and many owners have used the camera for years without ever knowing that.There many be many other cameras out there that are quite IR-sensitive.

Thanks,

Sean

Maggie O

Interestingly enough, I'm not seeing a purple cast on any of the items in the photo posted above. It looks like it might be a deep navy blue or indigo, which makes sense as many "black" dyed items are actually a deep, deep navy blue.

It might be a case of the camera faithfully recording what's there.

O

odyocu

Hi Sean,

This weekend I will make some similar photos, using the same luggage. I will use Canon 5D, M8 and the GR DII, under identical conditions, incl a WB card.
I'll take all photos RAW+JPG, with a manual (same for all) K degree (Can I do it with Ricoh- did not check the camera yet)

Then I'll post the small JPG versions first, and in case you need the RAW file, after seeing the results, I will mail it to you separately.

Have a nice weekend.

Seyhun
www.seyhun.com
gallery.slrdigital.org

This is interesting. If you get a chance, would you mind making a picture in RAW that includes the suspect materials as well as a WhiBal card? I tested with a variety of black shirts and pants and didn't see a strong shift. But it may be a matter of finding just the right materials and just the right light.

The Epson R-D1 is also sensitive to IR and many owners have used the camera for years without ever knowing that.There many be many other cameras out there that are quite IR-sensitive.

Thanks,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Seyhun,

Wow, that's thorough. Great, thanks very much.

Cheers,

Sean