The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First Picture with DLux4

jonoslack

Hi there
I've been considering, and it just seemed to happen :eek:

I bought it on the way over to Holland - it's possible I'll never get back to England, I got to the tunnel and realised I had no passport . . . the French customs accepted my driver's license, whether the English immigration will on the way home on Friday is a moot point:ROTFL::eek:

anyway, here is a shot taken from my restaurant table this evening in bergen op zoom.

400 ISO etc. etc.

incidentally, in case anyone was wondering, I bought the Leica because I can just about manage to do my processing in C1 . . . Silkypix is a step too far!

nostatic

It is sweet in low light, eh? 24/2 is a good thing. The video is pretty nice as well.

The only downside is relative...I've been shooting more with the Pentax and while the files out of the DLux4 are good, they aren't as good as an APS-C file. Just like the APS-C aren't as good as the FF.

Well, "good" isn't the right word. "Differently abled" perhaps :p

jonoslack

It is sweet in low light, eh? 24/2 is a good thing. The video is pretty nice as well.

The only downside is relative...I've been shooting more with the Pentax and while the files out of the DLux4 are good, they aren't as good as an APS-C file. Just like the APS-C aren't as good as the FF.

Well, "good" isn't the right word. "Differently abled" perhaps :p
Hi Todd
It does seem sweet. I'm not expecting miracles (so maybe I'll be pleased). I just wanted something which I really could fit in a coat pocket (and the little box in my space challenged car).

The combination of the fast lens and the decent ISO really does seem to be a good thing, and it seems to be workable without too much time in the manual!

Certainly, the files aren't as good as things with much better sensors (how should they be), but sometimes compromises are worth having, and this does look like quite a good one.

thanks for posting.

nostatic

Hi Todd
It does seem sweet. I'm not expecting miracles (so maybe I'll be pleased). I just wanted something which I really could fit in a coat pocket (and the little box in my space challenged car).

The combination of the fast lens and the decent ISO really does seem to be a good thing, and it seems to be workable without too much time in the manual!

Certainly, the files aren't as good as things with much better sensors (how should they be), but sometimes compromises are worth having, and this does look like quite a good one.

thanks for posting.
That is exactly the sweet spot for this camera I think. I loved my DLux3, but it struggled in low light. The DLux4 handles night time and indoor shots without breaking much of a sweat. Plus I love being able to switch between 16:9, 3:2, and 4:3 right on the lens and have it instantly reflected in the LCD.

Here is a low light example. This was taken at a party last weekend with the only light coming from the pool light and the string lights. I don't have a large version of it to post right now (the one downside - for raw I'm using RawDeveloper and don't have a proper workflow down), but the color is quite nice and it has a nice grain to it.

jonoslack

Here is a low light example. This was taken at a party last weekend with the only light coming from the pool light and the string lights. I don't have a large version of it to post right now (the one downside - for raw I'm using RawDeveloper and don't have a proper workflow down), but the color is quite nice and it has a nice grain to it.

That's excellent - I'm using C1, it isn't my favorite, but I can live with it, and of course it does add the lens corrections (which, by the looks of it, raw developer doesn't).

I've been fiddling with workflow, and for now I'm shooting RAW only, converting to highest quality JPG in the same folder, and then finishing and keywording in Aperture . . . if they do the raw support later it'll be easy to change the files around. It's an extra step, but not too onerous. Of course, when I take a real winner I can easily convert to tiff instead (currently projected as sometime in 2010!).

nostatic

That's excellent - I'm using C1, it isn't my favorite, but I can live with it, and of course it does add the lens corrections (which, by the looks of it, raw developer doesn't).

I've been fiddling with workflow, and for now I'm shooting RAW only, converting to highest quality JPG in the same folder, and then finishing and keywording in Aperture . . . if they do the raw support later it'll be easy to change the files around. It's an extra step, but not too onerous. Of course, when I take a real winner I can easily convert to tiff instead (currently projected as sometime in 2010!).
I actually was shooting mostly jpg so that I could use Aperture, but have done some raw since buying RD. I think that Aperture has to support the format soon, as Panasonic seems to be selling a fair amount of the LX3s. Of course with our luck they'd support the LX3 and not the DL4. :LOL:

At first I was annoyed about the whole barrel distortion thing, but I don't really care at this point. I think that having it in (like the shot above) actually works depending of course on the shot. It would be nice to have a checkbox in the software to turn it off...not sure how Aperture will deal with that.

I just couldn't relate to C1 so I don't use it. Hopefully Apple will get off the pot and add support soon. I have to admit that iPhoto09 is looking interesting though. I'd love to try the face recognition feature and see if it actually works. But it likely still won't deal with large libraries so it would be more of a side project thing. You have to think that Aperture will get the feature soon though, perhaps as a plugin.

jonoslack

I actually was shooting mostly jpg so that I could use Aperture, but have done some raw since buying RD. I think that Aperture has to support the format soon, as Panasonic seems to be selling a fair amount of the LX3s. Of course with our luck they'd support the LX3 and not the DL4. :LOL:

At first I was annoyed about the whole barrel distortion thing, but I don't really care at this point. I think that having it in (like the shot above) actually works depending of course on the shot. It would be nice to have a checkbox in the software to turn it off...not sure how Aperture will deal with that.

I just couldn't relate to C1 so I don't use it. Hopefully Apple will get off the pot and add support soon. I have to admit that iPhoto09 is looking interesting though. I'd love to try the face recognition feature and see if it actually works. But it likely still won't deal with large libraries so it would be more of a side project thing. You have to think that Aperture will get the feature soon though, perhaps as a plugin.
It might be worth persevering with C1, as it COMPLETELY removes any barrel distortion automatically - if I don't lose my internet connection I'll post a picture in a minute of my hotel bedroom showing the point.

I suspect that Aperture will support the leica first (history) but I doubt if they will do the automatic lens correction.

jonoslack

RAW file processed in C1
Look at at that barrel distortion!
Incidentally, that isn't moustache distortion either, the ceiling is a bit wonky!

kweide

Oh folks out there,

i could not resist. I bought my D-lux 4 yesterday from a local LEICA Shop. That was pure fun and joy... I prefered the D-Lux over the Pana LX3 due some strong facts:

1. I got one additional Year warranty. Now it is extended to 3 full Years
2. I got the terrible choice to choose between two leatherboxes. Brown or Black. The boxes are really strong build and have excellent IQ. I took the black for free. It was a LEICA sales action !
3. I love the IQ of the D-Lux 4 much more. Looks like a small M with its snapin lid. And the hotshoe ( Oly Flashes work !! )
4. It chassis is so clearly designed, so clean and even. Like to touch it...
5. My GRD cried: DON´T DO THAT OR I WILL DIE.

It is for sure the end of my beloved little GRD.... so sorry my love...your batteries fit into the D-Lux4 :ROTFL:

Macro shot with D-LUX4...

View attachment 10669

mazor

nice image kweide. Indeed the D-lux4 is a smarter camera dressed in its all metal construction will put the Ricoh GRD in it place.

Wish I could have a D-lux4, but the additional cost over the LX3 was a bit too much for my budget. And oh, my LX3 has 3 yr warranty too, thx to American Express, hehe

Mazor

jonoslack

I've been working, and anyway, it's been very foggy and cold here in Holland. I did manage to get out of the hotel for half an hour tonight after supper:
The end of the Bergen op Zoom icerink

and of course, since we are in Holland . . . bicycles:

It certainly does seem to do the job.

nostatic

I like the bicycles. It does seem to excel at nighttime photos especially if there is fairly high dynamic range. And that green has no business being that rich given the lighting. I wouldn't necessarily expect that, but I think it is just a very good lens, even considering the barrel distortion.

M

meilicke

Fun with using manual flash and a cheap wireless trigger:
View attachment 10680

The ferry dock:
View attachment 10681

This is certainly the most flexible fixed lens camera I have used. Shooting movie clips at 24mm is almost worth the price of entry!

Warm regards,
-Scott

charlesphoto

I found a brand new LX3 for $359. Pretty hard to justify what Leica charges over that, esp as I'll only be shooting RAW and converting in LR. The LX3 leather case (if you can find one) is much nicer than the Leica - old school bottom and fully removable top.

But anyway, I find the camera (either version) to be the most fun I've had with a new camera in a long while. Having a 24mm f/2.0 lens one can stuff in their pocket is revolutionary. It's just a daily stuff in your pocket kind of camera for me, not one I would take on a trip or try and do serious work with. But the low light capabilities are really nice with the combo of the f/2.0 lens and the OIS.

jonoslack

Working in Holland.
Lots of meetings, very little time for pictures, but such beautiful weather.
These were all taken around Moerdijk.

Staying in Bergen op Zoom:

charlesphoto

Love the bicycle pic Jono.

I'm finding the files need a bit of a bump in tone curve and sharpening (from RAW in LR). Sure is a fun camera.

charlesphoto

Another. Gotta love that 24! These are at 400. I find some definite noise creeping in (esp compared to M8 at 320 or D3 at.... 1600!) But I don't find it objectionable. Haven't done any prints yet but that's not really why I got this camera.