The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia 808 vs Lumia 1020 Camera

Thinking about getting one of these in large part for the camera.
Is one better then the other?
Seems like prices are really close for either one new.
Thanks,
Robert

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thinking about getting one of these in large part for the camera.
Is one better then the other?
Seems like prices are really close for either one new.
Thanks,
Robert
With prices being almost the same, and judging only the camera, I would choose the 1020 due to IS and RAW format. I still think jpegs out of the camera look better from the 808 though. When I bought my 808, it was a third of the price of a 1020, so easy choice for me :)

I do realize that "better" is a vague term. I've seen examples of photos from the 808 and I just don't want to miss out on that by going to a 1020. I've heard that an update is coming to tone down the 1020 images to be more like the 808 and that an update for raw from the 1020 is also about to happen?
I'm an old film guy trying to make my way in the 21st century and I still use a flip phone...:)

mazor

hmm, it is a hard choice, and undoubtedly it really comers down to what you use your phone for. If you want to substitute your digicam for a phone with a descent camera and do not use the smart phone capabilities much, then the 808 is a serious contender. Not only does the 808 have a superior dedicated image processing chip, but the out of phone JPG quality is just better, and can be considered very neutral with faithful reproduction of colors. The Lens is optically superior sporting a 26mm f2.4 lens which has descent center and corner performance.

If you want to delve more into smart phone features while having a descent camera on board that can rival point and shoot cameras for quality,the 1020 is for you. The camera component hardware is more high tech but seems of a lesser grade to the 808. The 26mm approx lens with f2.2 aperture does perform well at the center, but performance at the corners is not so good. The out of camera JPG currently is sub par to the 808, and skin tones lack the tonality and color gradients the 808 can produce. If you are willing to wait, the 1020 is still a very new phone and is receiving updates, of which the next will allow the phone to save a JPG and a RAW file simultaneously. If you think you are up to using a PC/MAC to process all your cell phone captures, then RAW is the obvious choice and this will never come about in the older Nokia 808.

Also lastly if you have a shaky hand, the 1020 will obviously bare favor as it has OIS. No matter how good a lens and sensor is, if there is no OIS, and the user does not have a steady hand, the image will not necessarily be as good as it could be.

willyande

1020 offers warmer colors, which I prefer to. Based on these shots, it seems to me that 808 is having some kind of misty layer taken along with the photos.