The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where's the fun with the RX10?

jonoslack

Surely someone has one? - such an interesting camera.
It seems to be the obvious successor to the lovely E10 (all those years ago)

Opinions?
Samples?
I was seriously tempted.

all the best

bipbip

I still am ....

I'll be taking a look at it next week.

It certainly seems to be the ideal grab-it-and-go all-weather dog-walking camera.

jonoslack

Jono, there's one cure, and one cure only against "being interested". You know the medicine. Just close your eyes and drink it :ROTFL:
Hi Jorgen - there is another simpler (and much cheaper) answer . . . which is simply to forget the whole thing!

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen - there is another simpler (and much cheaper) answer . . . which is simply to forget the whole thing!

all the best
Makes sense to me. While I'm sure the RX10 is an excellent camera, the price is on the weird side. It looks like another one of Sony's "because we can" cameras. Letting showcase products onto the market has always been a part of Sony's marketing strategy, and is probably an integral component in their success formula, but I'm not sure people are supposed to buy all their stuff :)

jonoslack

Makes sense to me. While I'm sure the RX10 is an excellent camera, the price is on the weird side. It looks like another one of Sony's "because we can" cameras. Letting showcase products onto the market has always been a part of Sony's marketing strategy, and is probably an integral component in their success formula, but I'm not sure people are supposed to buy all their stuff :)
HI Jorgen
Well, I'm not sure - the RX10 seems like a continuum from the R1 (is that what it was called?). Which was a fine, if quirky camera . . . but was never developed further.

Whatever, someone around here must have bought it, and I'm interested in what they think!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a quote from Ming Thein on FB 10 minutes ago:

"They're charging nearly US$1300 for a fixed lens, small-sensor superzoom and this is the kind of rubbish build quality they give? I haven't even mentioned the loosely clunking lens or the visible rough seam lines on the lens barrel yet. It's a bloody joke."

bipbip

Hmm. I had an opportunity to play with one this week as I mentioned and found it to be very well made ...
What puts me off - and I believe this is the stumbling point for most - is the fact that you can't forget that those 1150 Euros are for a small sensor camera ...
Having said that, I found it easy to pick up, twiddle the menu to suit and take quite good images. Being able to cancel the noises including the shutter make it a most welcome silent shooter. The complaints about the zoom taking ALL OF THREE SECONDS from end to end are an exaggeration (a dig at LuLa, here). Apart from not being as long as it sounds; except for a complete ignoramus no-one hunts from 24mm to full tele all the time hoping for a prize shot anyway. You might be at 70mm and want to get in closer from there or back off from 35mm to 24mm and using the rocker switch is plenty quick enough. Don't bother using the zoom ring, this is slower and in any case your left hand is there to smoothly vary the aperture - turn off the clicker and use your finger as if you were focusing a well engineered Voigtländer, together with the ever so light snick as the shutter fires is enough to bring a smile to your face ...

nostatic

Reviving this as I briefly shot this at my local store. It is an interesting camera, and I may take the plunge. I'm in camera-flux at the moment (ha! never happens around here), having drank the A7 koolaid and shrinking down to only GH3 and 12-35/35-100 for u4/3. I picked up an RX100ii and that is truly pocketable (unlike the GM1 I had) with really the only downside being the lens getting slow quickly as you zoom.

I was shooting a shoot last week. Camera crew came in to do a story on one of our labs. They were doing stills and videos, and I was documenting that with the A7/55 and the RX100ii. Got gorgeous shots from the A7, but couldn't use it when they were shooting video - shutter is too loud. RX100ii set to silent to the rescue, but given our lab is dark and they were shooting mostly available light, I was stuck at the wide end so I could get f1.8. The RX10 likely would have been ideal - shoots relatively silent, and I could use anything in the zoom range up to 200mm at f2.8. My in-store test was pretty strong. I compared the same shots with the A7 and while you can certainly tell the difference, the RX10 files compared favorably with a Fuji XE1 that I tried (colors not as nice, but not night and day). The video looked good from the RX10 as well. Zoom was smooth in video, and when you switch to DMF you get AF and the zoom ring on the lens switches to MF. Combine that with a good EVF and focus peaking (including while shooting video) and you have a remarkably capable camera.

I had intended to fall in love with one of the Fujis to be intermediate between the RX100 and A7, but I may have talked myself into the RX10 as it does more things and seems to do them well.

Build quality seemed quite nice. Maybe the wobbly lens that Ming talked about was an abused demo. The one I tried was a store demo but felt tight.

bradhusick

I handled the RX10 and it's a no-go for me. The zoom is too slow and the twist zoom is still by wire, not mechanically coupled. Build quality is fine, but still feels plasticy.

I have no use for video from a camera - I have a video camera.

pjphoto59

I have bought one, and had it about a week now, I am very impressed indeed. Almost every commentator has complained about the "slow" zoom, but I find it just right. I have an RX100 also and with that camera I find the zoom much too fast and difficult to set accurately. My solution there is to use the toggle zoom control to go to near to where I want to be and then fine tune using the front ring.

The default set up on the RX10 works the same way and is just right for me. The only annoyance is that the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction to the Olympus ones I am used to.

The camera is a very nice size and weight for carrying around, and the lens is excellent.

I am so impressed that I spent today packing up my Oly E5, 40-150, 12-60, 50-200 and EC14 to send off to Ffordes for commission sale....

(Note to self: Must revise my signature!!)

pjphoto59

Just getting to know the RX10. This picture taken just across the road from where I live. This is a completely unedited OOC jpg.

Remarkably for a small sensor camera the twigs on the tree branches are sharp and have no CA or purple fringing. They are sharp and at 35mm EFL so is the house.

rayyan

Wrong Photo; oops..

Excellent question Jono.

My son does imaging with such devices and scrutinizes the results very closely.

One of his working toys:

He wants a RX10 or a Lumix FZ1000.

Which one to recommend to him?

Best.

mazor

Wow, to see an RX10 replace an entire interchangable lens kit is impressive! The EC14 and the 50-200 would have been sold at a handsome price :)

tbhv55

He wants a RX10 or a Lumix FZ1000.

Which one to recommend to him?

Best.
I'm sure that others on the forum will be able to provide more details, but (so far as I can ascertain from simply reading about these two cameras) the main points of difference are:

Zoom range(35mm equivalent):
FZ1000 25-400mm --- RX10 zoom: 24-200mm

Aperture range:
FZ1000 f/2.8 to f/4.0 --- RX10 f/2.8 constant

Also, the FZ1000 is a little larger and heavier than the RX10.

Otherwise, much appears similar (e.g. sensor size, and MPx) and I suspect that, ultimately, the choice would come down to a combination of ergonomic preferences, and the intended use. I haven't handled the FZ1000, but I did handle an RX10 yesterday. The ergonomics were to my liking, and it felt well-built, with good 'heft'.

Hope this is of some help... good luck with the decision.:)

tbhv55

Just getting to know the RX10. This picture taken just across the road from where I live. This is a completely unedited OOC jpg.

Remarkably for a small sensor camera the twigs on the tree branches are sharp and have no CA or purple fringing. They are sharp and at 35mm EFL so is the house.
Now that you've had a few months to get used to the RX10, what's your opinion now?

I made the strategic error ;) of actually handling one yesterday:eek::D, and I have to say that I was impressed with what I saw.