The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad snaps.

Gandolfi: you're something else!

Lot's of nice photos in this thread, no question about that. But I can't wrap my head around someone torturing themselves into taking photos like this with an iPad! :)

iPhone yes,definitely...but iPad! talk about arms length photography reaching the next level! :D

//Juha

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi Juha,
I think there was a compliment hiding in there, and if there was, thanks:)

Truth to tell there is no torturing involved whatsoever. I do really get a great amount of fun using iPad for image making (I hesitate to use the term 'photograph'). As I said at the beginning I have the Mini version. It is only 20 x 14 cms and 1cm thick.
Looking at the Retina screen is just like using a Sinar ground glass screen without a dark cloth.
I have a brown Apple cover and it could easily be mistaken for a small book! (In fact it is a small book, I am reading W G Sebald's 'The Rings of Saturn' at the moment);)
It is as much fun as any book I have ever used for image making, and will print up to 25 x 20cms and possibly beyond.
Here is the waiting room at Bath Spa railway station.
All strictly for laughs these days!
Gandolfi.

There definitely was a compliment in there. I'd say it was mostly compliment and a little bit of sarcasm, but all in the positive spirit kind of way :)

Talented people can make nice images regardless of the gear used. You stand out as a good example.

The iPad being the mini version helps a bit with the image, but I just can't help not to snicker at the sight of iPad being held at arms length. Naturally I'm now thinking especially full size iPads.. seen some of that happening. But I suppose it's also the way of the brave new world. Couple of years ago everybody had a big honkin' DSLR with the biggest zoom they could buy, because it was "pro". And now it's the iGeneration of devices ready to fill up the internets with photos right from the scene.

Btw do you have the retina kind? How do you like the screen? I was thinking about it, but seeing it only delivers like 67% of srgb color space worth of gamut I'm a little hesitant.. maybe I should just wait it out and get mini retina 2 next autumn when it's due.

//Juh

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
WHAT!:wtf: You mean to say I'm losing 33% of my little rgb's. Why, that's almost a whole third. Where are they going? Can I ask for a refund?

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes I am using the Retina screen. Everything looks wonderful on it. If it can make my snaps look ok, think what it does for all those lovely images in the A7 and Fuji x threads, amongst others.

I read lots of articles about how tablets will be used more and more, and along with smartphones will be used for communication and image making. Brave New World indeed. I am amused by it all, to say the least.

I like Siri a lot. Mine is very droll, like a good manservant. Programmed to be quite amusing. I wanted to name him 'Passepartout' but he refuses to be re-named. Sounds just like Marvin the Paranoid Android. "Don't talk to me about life, I've a brain the size of a planet, and all they ask me to do is operate the lifts to the car park at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe".

Preparation.

Hitchikers guide I presume?

I wouldn't normally think so much about the color gamut, but alas I have the iPad 3 retina (original retina ipad) as my main tablet and that's already got ~95% of the srgb color gamut. So, I'm used to "better" and getting something less would bug my engineering minded brain :)

I'm the worst kind of mix.. engineering minded with semi-business trainig, in a sales engineer kind of position with room for my creative madness to play havoc. You can guess how that affects my choice of weapons :toocool:

Perhaps I'll use my pennies for soemthing else and see about the iPad in autumn with a new generation out.

//Juha