The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shadow and light

Will

Thanks Lili! Glad you like it. That one is rapidly becoming one of my favorites.

102 is 38.9C !!! But then don't you expect that in Dallas?

sizifo

It's pretty funny here that like 30-31 is considered a massive heatwave, and a tiny bit of snow in the winter brings the city to a halt.

Tim

It's pretty funny here that like 30-31 is considered a massive heatwave, and a tiny bit of snow in the winter brings the city to a halt.
We had one day last summer here that got to 46c. :toocool: Adelaide has never seen snow though, not that I can recall.

A

Arie Intveld

Great thread!

Will .. great idea for an image theme! I'm seeing some very creative use of light and shadow; it's impossible to pick a favourite. Kudos to all who have posted an image! :clap:

Perhaps this question belongs in the Digital Processing Forum but I'll ask it here anyway. I see beautiful contrasty images and I'm wondering if most of you process 2 versions of your work ... one for website viewing and another for printing? I find if I tweak contrast to look good on a website, the image is invariably far too contrasty for printing. My monitor is calibrated and I'm printing on an Epson R2400. Anyone with similar experiences?

Oh .. and here's one more shadow and light image for this thread, again with the D-lux 4:

Elms and Gables

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I process for screen then add a layer group for the paper I intend to print on.
The layer group containd the adjustments necessary to get the soft proof to match the screen version.
-bob

A

Arie Intveld

Thanks, Bob!

I process for screen then add a layer group for the paper I intend to print on.
The layer group containd the adjustments necessary to get the soft proof to match the screen version.
-bob
You now have me curious about your workflow, Bob. If you're using an adjustment layer suited to your paper, at what point are you saving your jpegs intended for upload? I don't see a way around 2 saved versions of the same image (not necessarily a bad thing).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I just turn off the visibility of the print adjustment layer group then convert to jpeg
(flatten layers, re-size in steps to final, convert mode to 8-bit, convert to sRGB) then saveAs jpeg.
Nope, I don't save a separate version usually, except for my gallery prints which get saved as sized for finished print dimensions and paper layer group made visible before flattening.
-bob

pollobarca

Will that spray is so well caught.
retow those clouds and rain , a great day on the beach . Shame about that damaged palm, not for the pic but for the poor palm!
this is one taken exiting from Customs and Excise Bergamo, doom and gloom but light at the end of the tunnel!

b rgds

paul

Will

Thanks Paul, and that image of yours is exquisite!

ntrolls that is great. Footprints washed in the sand against the permanence of the buildings on the skyline and all those shadows!

sizifo, a classic GRDI image!

An old GX100 image.