The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Visits CES

DavidE

I attended the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) last week in Las Vegas. I didn't bring a tripod, but instead looked for places I could rest the camera so I could shoot at ISO 100, even in relatively low light.

This is a shot of the Samsung booth. I used a counter-top at another booth for camera support.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/25 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

Here's another shot of the Samsung booth.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

Here's a shot from my hotel window (19th floor at Circus Circus). I was a little late for my appointment as I didn't think I would get another chance for a sky like this.

ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/125 second

DavidE

Same window, same morning.

ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/80 second

Will

Wow!

I must use my DP1 more
I must use my DP1 more
I must use my DP1 more

Post processed B&W or in camera?

DavidE

Thanks, Will. Post processed into B&W using Sigma Photo Pro and then I did a bit of cleanup in Lightroom.

Here's another B&W from last week. This is one of the living statues in the Venetian hotel. I leaned against a lamp post for extra stability.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/30 second

mazor

Nice shots DavidE. Man it is alot of work having to to use ISO100 all the time. Thought when doing black and white, the noise grain from the DP1 was actually quite nice.

MAzor

simonclivehughes

This kind of shooting is quite doable with a small beanbag. The bag allows you to easily support the camera against virtually anything, horizontal or vertical. Years ago, I made a small one out of leather and it goes everywhere with me, easily stuffed in a pocket.

Lovely images David, I especially like the Venetian one.

Cheers,

DavidE

Mazor, the DP1 noise does look pretty good in B&W (not so much in color). For this trip, I thought it would be an interesting experiment to try to maximize the settings, even if I had to shoot from an odd perspective. I often don't know when I'm shooting whether the photo will look best in B&W or color (where are those pre-visualization skills when you need them?).

Simon, I hadn't thought about using a beanbag. That's a really good idea. Some of the surfaces I wanted to use weren't quite level enough.

Here's an exterior view of the Venetian hotel. This time, I rested the DP1 on a fence post so I could take a two-second exposure.

ISO 100, f/5.6, 2 seconds

simonclivehughes

David,

Yeah, the beanbag solution is often overlooked but can provide a very stable yet versatile answer for shooting at low ISO/shutter speeds. Conforms to pretty well any surface and serves well as additional padding in a camera bag.

Here's a quick picture of my DP1 on its' "throne".

View attachment 10853

Cheers,

Last edited:

DavidE

Looks good, Simon. Your regal DP1 is even wearing a crown.

Here's another photo from the CES/Vegas trip. This one seemed to lend itself to some Sin City type imaging processing. I used a bench near the Circus Circus entrance to stabilize the camera.

ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/10 second

DavidE

Here's another one with the same image processing. If I remember correctly, the DP1 was resting on a railing.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/15 second

O

Oxide Blu

David, those are beautiful image. Really enjoyed looking at them. Thanks for sharing.

Btw, there is an interesting story about the gondolas in the Venetian hotel. They are water vessels that transports passengers for pay and as such come under the jurisdiction if the US Coast Guard, which required that everyone on board must wear or have a pfd (life vest). The guy building the hotel wanted everything to be authentic, scaled down (I want to say 1/2 size), but they had to redesign the gondolas to comply with the design parameters that allowed passengers to wear seat belts instead of the life vests. Something about needing a boat design that could not be rolled over and trap people underwater while strapped in. So the gondolas are as close to authentic design as they could get and comply with the design requirements of the US Coast Guard.

helenhill

Fab Shots w/the DP1, David
a combo of surreal & atmospheric :clap:

Just finished watching that Wonderful 1940's flick 'The Naked City'...very cool

DavidE

Oxide Blu, thanks for the info on the Venetian hotel gondolas. Who would have thought there would be Coast Guard requirements? I guess it makes sense, especially as the water craft are part of a business.

Helen, I saw that The Naked City was on Turner Classic Movies last night (when I turn on my cable box, I have it set to automatically open to TCM). It's an excellent movie, and Jules Dassin is an underrated director. Another of his early Hollywood films to watch out for is Brute Force (1947).

Here's another experiment in spot color from last week's CES/Vegas trip. I prefer this version, but my wife prefers the original with all the colors intact. She's probably right, as I sometimes go overboard with the image processing.

DavidE

Here's the version of the last photo without the spot-color processing.

Last edited:

DavidE

Thanks for the feedback, Streetshooter. I think I'll try to make the full-color version a little less contrasty and see what develops. I'm happy with the composition. Just hoping to make it less like a postcard image (though maybe that's not a bad thing).

This is the newer Palazzo section of the Venetian hotel. I had a CES appointment in one of the suites there and arrived early enough to grab a few shots. I was riding up the opposite-side escalator.

DavidE

Thanks, Ed.

Here's one of the stores in the Pallazo hotel -- not the kind of establishment you tend to find at the local mall.