The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Conclusions on GRD2 vs GX100

W

wbrandsma

Stuart and Lili, you posted excellent images. Both the B&W and color photos are really beautiful.
This image was made in jpeg and the only PP was some additional contrast. I compensated with 0.7 EV. The 24 mm is very useful for different perspectives.

cam

Wouter,
You make that 24 sing!
Wouter makes everything sing!

Lili, thanks for getting back to me on the JPEG thing. i now have both GRDs and i forget sometimes how gorgeous the JPEGs are out of the original. sigh. i've gotten somewhat addicted to the speed of the GRDII.

Lili

Wouter makes everything sing!

Lili, thanks for getting back to me on the JPEG thing. i now have both GRDs and i forget sometimes how gorgeous the JPEGs are out of the original. sigh. i've gotten somewhat addicted to the speed of the GRDII.
You are most welcome! It seems that the GRD is the better JPEG machine and the GRD II really makes great RAW fast.
I am a complete noob at PP still so the GRD suits me for now.
I will likely get the GRDII just for RAW eventually.

cam

You are most welcome! It seems that the GRD is the better JPEG machine and the GRD II really makes great RAW fast.
I am a complete noob at PP still so the GRD suits me for now.
I will likely get the GRDII just for RAW eventually.
i'm comfortable with PP, but often want to use the bracketing or continuous mode on the camera which means i'm stuck with JPEG. there's no doubt that the original does those better. i'm just stuck with low light and crappy weather right now so i'm going with the GRDII. come sun, i'll probably go back to my GRD. and one of them will get the 40mm adaptor if they ever show up here. (i will not be wearing them both around my neck, however. i'd topple over ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For those that are not shooting Raw dare i say you should think about doing one of our workshops. We really teach a lot about Raw processing and coming after Moab we look to be doing Carmel, Ca. and that one will be shooting , raw processing AND a printing workshop. Than we look to be doing San Juan , Puerto Rico which we will be doing street shooting and raw processing workshop.

Sorry that was a small advertisement but seriously this is a great way to learn raw processing, we honestly do a awesome job on teaching this.:)

helenhill

GUY
San Juan sounds Great ......
When will that be / any approx date ?? Cheers - Helen
How bout Amsterdam ? Flowers & Brownies......

Robert Campbell

Lili, Mitch: thanks for your kind comments.

I posted this to counterbalance any tendency for the GRD to be thought of as a B/W street camera - yet it is the least worst of my attempts over the years to capture this scene - this is a straight from the camera jpg [albeit size reduced] - I haven't yet tried to pp the DNG. [And if I could turn the jpg off, I would.]

Regards

[and enjoy Namibia, Mitch -- and don't get pneumonia, Lili :)]

Bertie

cam

Eigernordwand/North face of the Eiger

Regards

Bertie
gorgeous! oh my! (had to put it up again!) you just posted one of my biggest weaknesses.... i used to be a climber and always lusted after this face, even though i only did rock. sigh. i will dream tonight with your lovely image in my head.

Robert Campbell

gorgeous! oh my! (had to put it up again!) you just posted one of my biggest weaknesses.... i used to be a climber and always lusted after this face, even though i only did rock. sigh. i will dream tonight with your lovely image in my head.
Thanks for the kind words; and just to keep you lusting:

Sweet dreams

Bertie

C

Chuck A

Hey All,

These are some thoughts about making a decision about the GRDII and the GX100. Please, don't take anything that I have written as a strong criticism of the Ricoh cameras. They are a great achievement.

I have been watching for a while trying to decide between the GRDII and the GX100. After Seans review of the GRDII I have decided to wait and see. The GRDII is great except for the 28mm lens. I have no problem with a prime (that is all I use on my K10D) but 28mm is a bit wide for me and I am not impressed with the size and performance of the 40mm converter. A GRD40 would be perfect. I love the 1:1 RAW and the contols and firmware are great. I also like the zoom of the GX100 but want the RAW speed and the firmware of the GRDII. These cameras are not inexpensive and I have been looking for a long time to find a small sensor digital with the right balance of speed, firmware and image quality. I have also wasted alot of cash buying cameras and selling them later.

I need a less expensive small sensor digital with RAW and decent image quality to get though until a GRD40 or a GX200 comes along. Maggie O and the D-Lux 3 thread actually convinced me to take a close look at the D-Lux 3 or the Panny LX2. It has great IQ and while it doesn't satisfy my needs for a viewfinder and a RAW buffer, it is faster than the GX100. It is also much less expensive. That way I can probably sell it for close to what I bought it for if/when Ricoh brings out a camera that fills my needs. The small sensor format fits my photography very well. I owned an LC1 for a while and enjoyed it except for the size and the RAW speed. It was used to do some of my nicest work.

I have learned alot about these cameras from the folks here and made this decision based on much of what is written here. I am very impressed by the Ricoh cameras but they are expensive and they are evolving. My feeling is that the next generation will be the best.:thumbs:

Lili

Bertie,
Lovely shots of the Eiger.
I've not Climbed before but love mountains and snow.
Very very well done!
Cam,
envy you climbing, even rock.
Sadly I've a fear of heights, unless I am flying, then it seems to be different.
Working on getting Sailplane license.
lil'Ricoh will be going with me now ;)

M

meilicke

Chuck,

I was going through a similar issue, which I posted about in another thread. In the end I went for a used GX100, in large part because I was not totally satisfied with either camera (GRDII & GX100) - they both have weaknesses that I care about. So it sounds like, for you, you made the right choice by getting a good camera that will keep you until you find something better. Have fun!

Scott