The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When even the RX100 is too big...

tbhv55

After one day I am coming to the conclusion that I should keep both the RX100 and the GR. The RX100 has a nice zoom lens and does great video, and the GR image quality is shockingly great.

Do two belt pouches make me more of a nerd?
Of course!:D However, I guess that we're all nerds to some extent...:eek:

I've had the RX100 for around 18months, and I'm still impressed. It really does pack a huge amount of punch into an easily-pocketable item. Ergonomically, it's not to everyone's liking (too slippery), but I've learned to live with it by always using the wrist-strap.

Is the GR's IQ much better than the RX100? I'm not sure that I really want to know the answer to that question, because I've had a kind of 'detached interest' in the GR for some time, but I've successfully managed (so far) to ignore it. So... if you would just confirm how completely USELESS the GR is, my bank balance would be very grateful. :rolleyes:;)

bradhusick

I will try to do a side-by-side shot with both and show you the difference. You may not like what you're going to see. ;)

bradhusick

Okay, here is a side-by-side shot with the Sony and the Ricoh taken at base ISO, lens wide open, no corrections in Lightroom. The first one is the full frame, the rest are 100% crops. Auto white balance.

comparison | husick

Try to guess which shot is from which camera. I kept the left-right pairs the same. Post your guess here!

Here's the full frame, but use the link to see the full size photos.

Last edited:

tbhv55

Okay, here is a side-by-side shot with the Sony and the Ricoh taken at base ISO, lens wide open, no corrections in Lightroom. The first one is the full frame, the rest are 100% crops. Auto white balance.

comparison | husick

Try to guess which shot is from which camera. I kept the left-right pairs the same. Post your guess here!

Here's the full frame, but use the link to see the full size photos.
Hmmmmm... I don't have a GR, and I don't use Lightroom. This means that I'm not familiar with the nuances of two out of three components of the test, so I'm finding this difficult!

The right-hand image is more saturated in each pair, but to my eyes, the left-hand images appears slightly (and only slightly) sharper. So, from what I've read about the GR (and your comments above), the GR is the sharper of the two cameras... therefore the L/H images should be the GR. On the other hand, the colours in the L/H images appear similar to those which I expect from my RX100 - but, of course, that could be something to do with the fact that you've used LR.

Logic tells me that L/H image = GR, but something more abstract makes me think the opposite.:confused: All in all, I would comment that there doesn't seem to be a great deal to choose between them in IQ terms, and I'd guess that the real differences are probably to be found when using each camera.

You can probably discern from my ramblings that I really have no idea. I've failed the test... but then, I said that I wasn't even going to look at it in the first place!:eek:;) Thanks for taking the time to do this - it was interesting, even if I've flunked it.:rolleyes: I'm now looking forward to the answer.:)