The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX-200

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I'm thinking of trading my G10 for a GX-200. I know what the G10 can do but how do you like the GX-200? (If ya have one of course)

I only do raw and 90% B&W.

any response appreciated...shooter

V

VladimirV

As long as you keep the ISO below 800 it will give you great results and even 800 is ok for b&w. The step zoom and snap focus make it very fast for street photography.
I am in the process of finishing my review on it and will publish it by the end of the week.
You can already read some of my impressions and see pictures I took on my blog under December 08 from my HK trip.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Done deal...the g10 is shipped to a new owner and my GX-200 is on it's way. If I didn't have the DP1, I would have got the GRD11.....

Now it's the waiting game.......ho hum....
shooter

W

wbrandsma

Great decision! I look forward to your results.

All with the GX200

O

Oxide Blu

I'm thinking of trading my G10 for a GX-200. I know what the G10 can do but how do you like the GX-200? (If ya have one of course)
That's exactly what I did, dumped the G10 in favor of a GX200, and haven't looked back. The G10 just didn't do it for me, tho the technical numbers suggest it should have.

Fwiw, 'brains' has the G9. For whatever reason, I think it has a better feel to it than the G10. The G10's extended lens was always a concern, seemed unusually vulnerable.

Hopefully you got the GX200 kit. I got mine at Adorama for $20 more than just the GX200. The kit includes the eVF. I use the eVF almost exclusively. It is a godsend when shooting low -- put the camera low, flip up the eVf and look down into it.

Lately I've been doing snaps of the dog with the GX200. Tried posting a couple of them but they aren't displaying, don't know why. They are linked form Flickr.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it was the GX200 or LX3 and I did the LX3...sold that, no looking back....in fact the LX3 should be compared to the GX200....anyway.
I will us a 35mm finder with the camera after I get used to it's feel....

It should partner with the DP1 very well......

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
So I'm GX-200'ing and I have to say, I think it's the most thought out camera I have had in over 10 years. I kinda read the manual....well, I'll read it at some point.
The camera is very intuitive and the controls are a pleasure to use.
Anyway, youse know that already. Thanks to those who email'd me with advice...I did set it up as suggested....

I wish the LX3 worked like this but alas.....this is a great camera.....

images later after I get tired of working with it and want to sit at the puter...

shooter

helenhill

Streetshooter:
So how Does it fare with the DP1
in terms of B&W & tonalities ?
Prefer one LOOK over the Other
or do they compliment each other....

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Helen,
That's a loaded question and here's why. It depends on how you prepare and convert the file. I use Silver Efex mostly and I can replicate my tonalities of my Leica's and Tri-X. Both cameras can do that because of the processing but....

There is no comparision between the 2 as far as certain things in IQ. The DP1 is as good as it gets....I prefer it to my M8's and everything else because it has a certain GRIT in the appearance of the print. Darkroom GRIT.....

The files are very analog and organic and that's why I prefer working with that.
The GX-200 is a joy to use and the files in DNG are very good. It has a different tonal range out of the camera due to the size of the sensor, obviously. The definition/detail is not as defined because of that also...but it has GRIT. I need that in my images...it's a quality that visually an image of mine has to have. My M8 is almost pristine, so is the D300, 5D and all the large sensor cameras. They read digital where as the DP1 and now the GX-200 of course are digital but are not sterile....I hope you understand and I'm sure you do...

B&W can't get much better than working with these 2...of course I am really just starting out the journey with them but it's off to a good start...

If I could only have 1 it would be the DP1 because of it's responsiveness and speed of working,
luckily, I am not in that position and I have both...

later...shooter

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
It was just some suggestions as far as configuriing the
buttons. I set Fn2 for snap...Fn1 for manual focus...
Probably standard stuff but I didn't read the book yet...
probably won't cause it's very intuitive....

I don't like zooms cause of a few aesthetic reasons...
but this one works... funny tho.. the LX3 didn't work
as smooth.....and I have issues with cameras that
don't have memories....

Scott G

I just received my GX200 this morning.

Here are some pics I took a few hours ago. The "ghost jogging" picture was pure luck.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the Ricoh even more after spend some time with it -- it appears to be an amazingly capable camera, for any size.

O

Oxide Blu

I just received my GX200 this morning.

Here are some pics I took a few hours ago. The "ghost jogging" picture was pure luck.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the Ricoh even more after spend some time with it -- it appears to be an amazingly capable camera, for any size.

Nice pix. The ghost jogger foot is cool. :thumbup:

The more you use a Ricoh the more you will dislike the UI on other cameras.

I think we should start a campaign to get Ricoh to do a firmware update to allow the user to specify the exposure shift for bracketed exposures. 1/3 or 1/2 stop over/under isn't enough of a diff, would like to choose 1 to 2 stops difference.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The GX200 is a real nice camera. The layout is great...tomorrow I have a shoot for the City Dept of Recreation and I'll use it and the DP1....the press guys are always in awe of the results I get from the compact cameras......

later

V

VladimirV

Nice, the portrait and the last picture of the cat are really good. What I like about Ricoh cameras is the crisp images they produce due to the excellent lenses and noise in the images.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Vlad,
Your 100% right. The GX200 has noise for sure as all cameras do...but it still holds details and tones. As I said I am bored and cold.....too old to hike the streets till it warms somewhat....thanks for the props....not expected......just playing....

later....don