The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD2 Skin melts off

ShiroKuro

Has anyone had this happen ?...... the grip on my GRD2 sort of just melted off the camera..... the rubber seems to be breaking down ... chemical reaction between the glue and the grip ? Blame it on China ? Any way disappointed that this has happened ..only 1 year old :(.. off to Ricoh Japan for some new skin .... nothing seems to last or have any real quality built into it anymore ...
sure they will fix it ... now if they would have built these like the the old GR1 series .... just venting :D

thanks

O

Oxide Blu

Blame it on China. :D

My GRDII endured soy sauce and Japanese vinegar -- and angler fish liver. The grip is still intact. Can't say the same for the lens or the focusing system. :D

Ricoh Japan was extremely helpful in getting the camera repaired. Cost me $240, fixed it and returned it inside of 1-wk.

Will

I have the same problem with my GRD2 but it seems to happen only in cold conditions. It is a bit loose now but not quite bad enough for me to be prepared to part with the camera for it to be repaired.

Robert Campbell

I've heard of this on the GRDI -- but don't superglue it back -- apparently there are electronics under it, and the only way to get at them is to peel the grip thing off.

Hasn't happened to me -- but I don't like soy sauce.

fordfanjpn

Mine has been riding around either in my day bag or my coat pocket for over a year, and it still looks like it did the day I bought it. Sure seems like a very robust little camera to me. No problems at all. :thumbup:

Bill

ShiroKuro

Blame it on China. :D

My GRDII endured soy sauce and Japanese vinegar -- and angler fish liver. The grip is still intact. Can't say the same for the lens or the focusing system. :D

Ricoh Japan was extremely helpful in getting the camera repaired. Cost me $240, fixed it and returned it inside of 1-wk.
:ROTFL: Did they manage to get the smell of fish out ?
Hawaii is pretty warm so not sure if it is the cold ... but then again it has been to Japan this winter .... maybe the camera suffers from Jet lag .... Thankfully Ricoh is an awesome company to deal with so no worries there ......
The cost of a new skin is about $50.00 ..... I think I can get it done for free ...
I hope so anyway ....:)

S

SimonL

The grip coming off happened all the time on the GRD1.

Lots of people were hoping for a solution in the GRD2 but it seems they used the same glue deliberately so that they could get at stuff underneath should it need repair.

O

Oxide Blu

... Ricoh is an awesome company to deal with so no worries there ......
Before sending in the sushi-boat GRD, the Ricoh intake rep suggested I include the warranty info when I send the camera in. He said damage caused by dumping sushi into the camera normally is not covered by the warranty but if there was anyway they construe the repairs to be covered by the warranty they would. They couldn't, it wasn't, I had to pay. :D

Yes, Ricoh is one of the best companies to deal with -- or rather, not have to "deal" with. I give them an A+ on their service!!!

ShiroKuro

Ricoh Japan is awesome ... no charge for the new skin .. even though I was passed the warranty .... They actually felt bad .... and thankful for doing business with them ....
What company treats there customers this way these days ..... dunno but they got my future business ........ They laughed at the China comment and apologized ...... Just call them for no reason and they will make your day ..... I call them once in awhile and tell who ever answers the phone I love them ..... ; )

O

Oxide Blu

I'm glad it all worked out for you. :thumbs:

I'm in the process of drafting a firmware request to allow us to set the value of the auto exposure bracketing (auto BK) to whatever we want from the exposure comp menu; I'd like us to be able to choose from 1/3-stop increments, up to a +/- 2 full stops exposure bracket.

I'm asking for it to be implemented in both the GRD and the GX200. Didn't think to include an "I love you" in the request, but I'll consider it. Will let you know how it goes. :D