The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DPI - amazing results

iansky

I know this is technically not the correct place to post this as it is very much a "Stand alone" camera.

I am amazed at the quality this camera produces and I can can just live with the slow Raw write time, slower autofocus and very slight shutter lag as most of my images to date are landscape.

The build quality is superb and I was lucky enough to get the whole kit including viewfinder and lens shade for under £300 so a good deal.

My latest DP1 images can be viewed here and are best viewed large (the originals from Raw look a great deal better):

www.Ianskyphotosite.blogsite.com

iansky

Ooops sorry, typing in a hurry.

The link should be: http://www.ianskyphotosite.blogspot.com/

Again, I had a GRD since they came out (images on the blog above) and the GX100 but wanted something around the same size but with high IQ, the DP1 meets those requirements and so far I have not found it to be as bad as many make out (never sure they own one to make a fair assessment).

I have not tried it for street yet but I used the GRD and was happy with street shots from that so if I manage to tie down focus and shutter lag problems I am sure the DP1 will produce very rewarding images - something for the future.

Currently, I personally do not think there is anything short of a medium priced DSLR that can match it for quality of images and the Foveon sensor certainly manages to capture the very subtle changes of light, shade and patterns in incredible clarity.

Yet to also try some night images!

simonclivehughes

The DP1 is admirably suitable for street when used in manual mode using hyperfocal focusing. The shutter lag is virtually non-existent. Very similar to the GRD's snap focus mode. The DP1's files seem to be perfect for B&W conversion, yielding rich, detailed images.

Nice images on your blog, but in a few I might have used a graduated filter to knock back the sky.

Cheers,

Tim

Its comments and examples like this that make me want to try one of these out. I'm waiting to see the DP2 as well. Its likely Sigma will fixed many issues.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Yeppers, the camera is made for the streets. I'm doing 1600-3200 at night with manual focus...(hyperfocal at f4)...just amazing.....couldn't be happier.

In fact I sold my G10 to get a GX-200 as a sister for the DP1....so I'm heading out to make images with both right now......later
shooter

D

ddk

Ooops sorry, typing in a hurry.

The link should be: http://www.ianskyphotosite.blogspot.com/

Again, I had a GRD since they came out (images on the blog above) and the GX100 but wanted something around the same size but with high IQ, the DP1 meets those requirements and so far I have not found it to be as bad as many make out (never sure they own one to make a fair assessment).

I have not tried it for street yet but I used the GRD and was happy with street shots from that so if I manage to tie down focus and shutter lag problems I am sure the DP1 will produce very rewarding images - something for the future.

Currently, I personally do not think there is anything short of a medium priced DSLR that can match it for quality of images and the Foveon sensor certainly manages to capture the very subtle changes of light, shade and patterns in incredible clarity.

Yet to also try some night images!
Nice shots, I love the sheep!!! The dp-1 is very competent with static scenes but I had a lot of issues shooting people and went back to the GRD because of it.

Last edited:

Lili

Iansky,
those are wonderful! the draw of these images is delicate and precise.
Wanting to pull trigger on dp-1 now

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I must admit that this camera is very tempting. I will try and resist until the DP2 is released as a 40mm FOV is far more my thing but I have been impressed with the images I have seen from this camera.

Question to DP1 owners please, I have seen several people mention using hyperfocal focus on this camera. Is there a depth of field scale in manual focus mode? Is manual focus generally easy to achieve on this camera?

ecliffordsmith

Don,

Thanks for confirming that. It really seems that Sigma have focused on the features that matter on this camera.

I just have to try and hold off getting one until the DP2 arrives!

Will

Don,

Thanks for confirming that. It really seems that Sigma have focused on the features that matter on this camera.

I just have to try and hold off getting one until the DP2 arrives!
But it doesn't have a depth of field scale. At least if it does I haven't found it yet.

iansky

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Weather permitting, I will try some street work soon and see how it goes.

ShiroKuro, not sure why you are fairly emphatic in you response to Lili - Don't do it Lili .... ; )

cam

Weather permitting, I will try some street work soon and see how it goes.

ShiroKuro, not sure why you are fairly emphatic in you response to Lili - Don't do it Lili .... ; )
the DP1 is difficult for the street unless you've got a sunny day and beautiful lighting. f/4 is just too damned slow. of course, with the larger sensor, you need to be stopped down anyways to get large enough DOF. however, on sunny days you can't even see the screen to focus! and taking multiple shots is out of the question because of the write time....

mind you, i am a Sigma fan. the Foveon sensor is the stuff of dreams. i don't even mind SPP as i think it does a tremendous job. the images the DP1 is capable of making are jaw dropping, but god forbid i can actually get one i care about....

like ShiroKuro, i advised Lili (and everybody else) to wait for the DP2. f/2.8 is much more acceptable for low light. hopefully the new camera will have a better screen and faster write times. i don't have much faith, however, that the workings of the camera will ever be elegant. after the GRD/GRDII it is especially a bitter pill to swallow. you have to wonder if Sigma ever consulted a photographer when they set up the controls.

but, still, i concur with you. the images are amazing! they blow away every small sensor camera and, even, dare i say, the micro 4/3 that are all the rage now. the images are THAT good!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
It doesn't need a DOF scale.....some things never change especially with a fixed focus lens.... as follows....

Hyperfocal Distance for the DP1

f4 12.6'
f5.6 8.93'
f8 6.33'
f11 4.49'

Remember that focused at the Hyperfocal distance, the DOF (Depth of Field) extends from 1/2 the Hyperfocal Distance to Infinity.

This may help clear up the distance scale thinggy.....

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
the DP1 is difficult for the street unless you've got a sunny day and beautiful lighting. f/4 is just too damned slow. of course, with the larger sensor, you need to be stopped down anyways to get large enough DOF. however, on sunny days you can't even see the screen to focus! and taking multiple shots is out of the question because of the write time....

mind you, i am a Sigma fan. the Foveon sensor is the stuff of dreams. i don't even mind SPP as i think it does a tremendous job. the images the DP1 is capable of making are jaw dropping, but god forbid i can actually get one i care about....

like ShiroKuro, i advised Lili (and everybody else) to wait for the DP2. f/2.8 is much more acceptable for low light. hopefully the new camera will have a better screen and faster write times. i don't have much faith, however, that the workings of the camera will ever be elegant. after the GRD/GRDII it is especially a bitter pill to swallow. you have to wonder if Sigma ever consulted a photographer when they set up the controls.

but, still, i concur with you. the images are amazing! they blow away every small sensor camera and, even, dare i say, the micro 4/3 that are all the rage now. the images are THAT good!

Hmmmm, Oh, I think Sigma chatted with many photographers. I personally find the camera IDEAL for working the streets.

Look, on the streets. it's about being able to fit in and look like everyone else out there. Then it becomes a matter of how fast you respond in your MIND to a particular scene developing in front of you. Then it's a process of composing in your mind to a certain perspective....and then when the elements of the 3 dimensional reality coincide with the 2 dimension reality that is living in your mind....and only then...
do you quickly and decisively raise the camera and release the shutter....

The DP1 does this excellently......f 2.8 or f4 means very little in the real world. What matters is how well the files push process. So at iso 800 the DP1 pushes to 3200 with a usable B&W image like no other camera...at 1600 it rivals and beats my Canon and Nikon DSLR's...at 100lbs less weight...

Is it fast...well it records fast...does it need to be fast...
No...life happens fast...as a photographer, it is our responsibility to slow it down for visual scrutiny......The DP1 will slow your release times down but allow your brain to work faster and more precise because the camera allows
breathing space between exposures.......