The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji f20 dog shot

N

nei1

and just behind and to the left.

ive put more or less the same shot in the camera phone section as I also took it with my phone:lecture::D
think I prefer the phone shot

Last edited:

kweide

Don´t tell anybody you need a DSLR to be a serious photographer. Your pics are indeed a proof to save money. :grin:

mazor

Don´t tell anybody you need a DSLR to be a serious photographer. Your pics are indeed a proof to save money. :grin:
indeed., but DSLR can be handy for enlargements, For web viewing, point and shooters and DSLRs sit in the same category for wide angle photography.

Get into portraits and tele, and the DSLR can be far more creative with depth of field.

Oh Nei1, really like you first shot with the Dog in it.

Mazor

Lili

Nei1, excellent shot! Love the doggie in the foreground..
Photos are made by photographers, whether they're using DSLR's, P&S's or Phones. I enjoys yours very much not least because you demonstrate the truth of this axiom :)
Actually, the Fuji's, esp with the 6mp Super HR CCD all do very nicely. COlors here suit the Finepix palette very well :)

N

nei1

Thanks Helen and Mazor.The dogs a sucess,she can stay another night(JOKE)
Lili,the camera has come to me by default for a while so I have some time to play with a proper digital camera.The sky is blown out completely in places,this really p////s me off,need 1 or 2 stops compensation then muck around in pp I guess.Ill not spend any money till Ive seen the DP2,thanks for ypour time and generous comments....Neil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Lili's right,
Photographers make images, not cameras. I wish I was your dog and could swim in the water and bask in the sun...but alas...

I'm just freezin' in Philly......

but thanks for the glimpse of a warmer world, you captured it beautifully......

Lili

Neil, perhaps it is the screen on my laptop, but the skies look fine, a bit subtle in color but otherwise fine to me.
My Former F31fd did marvelous skies, striaght from the camera with exp compensation and no PP

Does the F20 have compensation?
Seriously tho, this is lovely series :)

edit; sorry no exp comp here *blush*

mazor

Lili Lov the sunset shot you got there from the F31Fd. That pocket cam was a landmark digicam for the lowest noise in its class for the time.

I think nei1 is talking about getting the foreground dog exposed correctly, without over exposing the much brighter background. It is harder with smaller sensor digicams, although even big sensor DSLRs also can blow out highlights in bright cloud areas, where you have non illuminated foreground subjects.

The best solution here is to get some sort of fill flash, possible with diffuser to reduce the "flash" effect to expose the dog at higher exposure, whist keeping the background sky exposed at a similar value.

Mazor

Lili

Mazor, I see what you mean, tho the shot with the puppy certainly looks very very good for using avail light, with all digicams its, as you point out, a balancing act. Neil did very well here IMHO.
I gave my F31 to my best friend for her birthday, she adores it!
Thanks about the dawn ;) shot, the sky was awesome that morning, I just caught it.

N

nei1

thanks streetshooter,mazor,lili,the f20 does have compensation,upto 2 stops either way.Will give it a try soon and then photoshop the hell out of it!!