The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 images.

Tim

Here is a small piece of a walking track called the Heysen Trail in the Adelaide hills. It runs for some hundreds of miles. No time for post processing so here is the jpg straight from the LX3

Rawfa

Nice shot. What did you do on camera to get this effect? It's almost as if you're using a IR filter.

iiiNelson

It looks like the "Smooth B&W" Film Mode to me. They just come out that way from my test shots on the D-Lux 4.

Tim

Nice shot. What did you do on camera to get this effect? It's almost as if you're using a IR filter.
It looks like the "Smooth B&W" Film Mode to me. They just come out that way from my test shots on the D-Lux 4.
It was taken using the smooth mode if I recall. The IR effect might be a bit of a trick. The trees I think are Ghost gum trees and they have a natural white trunk covered by bark and it kind of looks like IR.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

That's a nice looking walk through the ghostly gum trees, Tim.

Had a 3 hour walk this afternoon, up hill and down dale just south of Bath. Saw some white trees myself, and some beautiful clouds.

Last pic is looking down on some water trickling down the side of a road, passing over small stones, gravel and fine mud, creating an ever changing muddy swirl. Looks like a satellite pic of the mouth of the Amazon to me.

All Jpegs @ 100 ASA modified in iPhoto.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

HiltonP

Took the LX-3 for some shooting at the V&A Waterfront complex in Cape Town.

All these photos are handheld, no flash, available light only . . . photo 01 is at ISO 800, others at ISO 400 . . . all at 24mm and f2, and all were taken using iA-mode.

Photo 02 is a stitch of four vertical photos, and photo 03 is a stitch of two horizontal photos (one top, one bottom). Stitching done in PS CS3. Other than some noise reduction there was very little other post-processing performed.

The combination of wide-angle, f2, and IS works very well. :thumbup:

mazor

HiltonP, very smooth images here. Shows the LX3 can get some good color results at higher ISOs. Love my LX3 is it so satisifying.

Took this with my LX3 underwater using EWA marine housing.

MAzor

woodyspedden

Hello All,

Had a 3 hour walk this afternoon, up hill and down dale just south of Bath. Saw some white trees myself, and some beautiful clouds.

Last pic is looking down on some water trickling down the side of a road, passing over small stones, gravel and fine mud, creating an ever changing muddy swirl. Looks like a satellite pic of the mouth of the Amazon to me.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.
Amazing what clouds like this can do for an otherwise normal image.

Woody

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Nice colour from S.A., Hilton.
Mazor- the new Jacques Cousteau with an LX3:)

I visited Bruton today. A nice little sleepy town 30 miles S. of Bath, a bit like a small French provincial town.
Bridge over the River Brue.
Fine carved wood in church.
New restaurant with circular pizza oven.
Street view.
More clouds for Woody.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

Tim

Wonderful images Gandolfi, I particularty like your last image image, tree with cloudscape. Very dramatic lighting. I would like to know more about your post processing secrets if you wish to tell?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Tim,
Thanks for comments.
I shoot b/w in dynamic mode in Jpegs.
I use a mac and do all my post processing for b/w pics in iPhoto. There is an adjust panel.
It has a histogram at the top with 3 sliders. I believe they adjust the white point and the black point of the image. There are further sliders for exposure and contrast, highlights and shadows, saturation and colour temp and tint, and 2 more for sharpness and noise reduction. I sort of know what I'm doing, (I think it is like being in the darkroom, choosing a hard grade of paper and doing some dodge and burn), but all I do now is slide the sliders about until I've got a pretty picture:)
In the case of the cloud picture I seem to have compressed the histogram, increased the contrast, slid the highlight and shadow sliders a bit and increased the saturation minimally. If I wanted to tone I would use the colour temp/tint sliders. Good thing about LX3 is that I almost never have to sharpen and certainly never use noise reduction.
I realise this is a fairly crude way of going about things, especially compared to what some folks use, but I am doing this purely for the FUN of it.
I do have Photoshop Elements6 which for b/w I use solely for straightening an image ( there is a straighten tool in iPhoto but when I use it the pic becomes unsharp for some reason- anyone else experience this, and if so do you know why?) Also I have not been shooting much colour, but when I do I may use Elements- I love the solarise filter for effects- see the panorama in this thread from a few weeks ago.
And that's about it. Love the LX3 to bits, though!
Also I liked your stained waterfall- if we all carry on like this water will be more valuable than gold, in fact we will be fighting over it soon:eek:

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

HiltonP

Taken during the Cape Argus Cycle Tour this weekend.
Ai-mode, 24mm, f4, ISO 80, 1/1000th.
No post-processing at all.

J

JCdeR

The LX3 surely produces fantastic images such a pity thats it's such a crap camera to use, for me that is.... My hands are the size of an average size shovel and there is no way I can get to terms with it....

mazor

The LX3 surely produces fantastic images such a pity thats it's such a crap camera to use, for me that is.... My hands are the size of an average size shovel and there is no way I can get to terms with it....
For you, stick to Ricoh and Sigma, the buttons on those are far more spaced. I too sometimes find the LX3 a little finicky for fast operation, but that is a small trade off for a camera that fits in my hip pocket.

MAzor

scott

Anyone on the list who uses an LX3, just wondering what the firmware numbers are when purchasing new, and if there has been need to have an upgrade at all to this camera.

Thanks,

Scott

iiiNelson

I use the D-Lux 4 version and my hands are pretty large. I had the same issue as you at first but then I just got use to it. I still hate the joystick as it isn't super precise (would prefer a dial) but you get used to it... Or not.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Anyone on the list who uses an LX3, just wondering what the firmware numbers are when purchasing new, and if there has been need to have an upgrade at all to this camera.

Thanks,

Scott
Hi, Scott,
I bought my LX3 in January and the Firmware installed was version 1.0. Soon afterwards Panasonic released update version 1.2. I have not updated yet (it is too complicated a process for me, but I am more than happy with things as they are!).
So I think you should be looking for a new camera with version 1.2 installed.
Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

woodyspedden

Hello All,

Cheers,
Gandolfi.[/QUOTE

I love the image of the field with the road or pathway running through it. I think it would be even stronger if you could have arranged the camera such that the road cut diagonally through the image as opposed to going vertically along one side.

Still a terrific image, just my thoughts on composition

Woody

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Woody,

You may well be right about the composition and if I walk that way again I'll see what I can do, tho' I am hemmed in somewhat by the hedges on either side.

Here is a similar pic taken 1min 57sec later with a slightly more interesting path curving to the left, and blued in iPhoto for that 'nuit americaine' effect:)

2nd pic is a work of art by Carlo Borrani of Milano from the heyday of wire wheels- this on a 1959 Aston Martin DBR1.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited: