The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DOF RX100 MK1/MK2 vs. MK3

Hi,

what is your experience with DOF on the longest end between the 28-105mm zoom @105mm and F4.9 of Mk1/Mk2 vs. the new zoom in the MK3 at its longest end (70mm) @2.8?

Any meaningful improvements for easier blurring of the background for portraits?

Thanks

tbhv55

Hi,

what is your experience with DOF on the longest end between the 28-105mm zoom @105mm and F4.9 of Mk1/Mk2 vs. the new zoom in the MK3 at its longest end (70mm) @2.8?

Any meaningful improvements for easier blurring of the background for portraits?

Thanks
I don't have experience of the Mk3 (I only have the Mk1), so I am unable to provide an 'in-use' comparison, but below I've provided some screen dump calculation extracts which I ran on the Dofmaster site, which might help you to assess the differences - from a numerical viewpoint, at least...:)

The Mk3 is not listed on Dofmaster, but since the sensor is the same size in both cameras, the Mk1 can be used for the calculations. Not all of the data is perfectly correct, as the drop-down boxes on Dofmaster don't contain options to match the RX100 (and RX100 Mk3) in every case, but I've set the data values as close as possible to the right settings.

The first attachment shows the results for the RX100 Mk1 at 100mm(eq.) @ f/5 (f/4.9 is the actual maximum aperture at this focal, but not available in the Dofmaster drop-down box). The second is for the Mk3 at 70mm(eq.) @ f/2.8, and the third (for additional comparison) is for the Mk1 at 70mm(eq.) @ f/4.

Here's a link to Dofmaster - in case you weren't already familiar with that site.

Hope this helps.

--------------

Last edited: