The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Confessions of a small sensor junkie

scott kirkpatrick

So treat the GX-100 as a "GRD35/GRD50" and use the GRD as the "GRD28"?
I like it!
Almost -- the GRD because the GR-21 equivalent, while the GRD-II is used at 28mm-e, which is a pretty comfortable everyday focal length for me. Just like the film GR's, which I never got to use.

scott

Lili

Almost -- the GRD because the GR-21 equivalent, while the GRD-II is used at 28mm-e, which is a pretty comfortable everyday focal length for me. Just like the film GR's, which I never got to use.

scott
That is a nice idea.
However I would find three cameras, especially with one having the HA-1 and GW-1 installed, a bit much to carry.
Carrying my GRD, HA-1, and GW-1 is fairly light and compact.
It appears the GT-1 will not add much more bulk :)

Edit:I just ordered the GT-1, die is cast :)

P

Player

Congrats Lili on the GT-1! You'll be happy with it.

Just to mention, the Voigtlander VTVF40 is a gem, very bright and clear. And a neck strap seems to go well with the GRD/ GT-1 combo.

scott kirkpatrick

Are you planning to carry more than one of them at a time? If so, have you worked how you might do that?
I can imagine carrying the GR-DII and GX100 around together in one sort of setting, and the 28 and 21 lenses (on the GR-D and GR-DII) in some others. Just wear shirts with big pockets. The new carrying case will help to keep down the accumulation of viewfinders loose in a pocket. This only gets tough in summer time, when I don't have that many pockets.

I did make a deal with Popflash, leaving out some stuff that I don't use, like the electric cable release and the shoulder strap...

scott

Lili

Congrats Lili on the GT-1! You'll be happy with it.

Just to mention, the Voigtlander VTVF40 is a gem, very bright and clear. And a neck strap seems to go well with the GRD/ GT-1 combo.
Ah yes, I shall need the CV-40 you are right, another toy, yay!

P

Player

Lili, I noticed you didn't mention the neck strap.

I haven't actually used it in the field yet, but I keep the short sections permanently attached to the camera so I can quickly install the rest of the strap, if need be. It does however kind of make the user look like a "real photographer," which somewhat defeats the purpose of the camera, but it works well with the accessory lenses since the camera isn't really pocketable, and you do have to carry it somehow.

P

pcheywood

All those accessories, just go with the GX100. A single camera, close to perfect, why are we trying to burden ourselves with the paraphernalia of a DSLR?

Paul.

H

hiro

Lili, I noticed you didn't mention the neck strap.
It does however kind of make the user look like a "real photographer," which somewhat defeats the purpose of the camera, but it works well with the accessory lenses since the camera isn't really pocketable, and you do have to carry it somehow.
It's unfortunate that most digital compacts come only with identically useless wrist straps. I considered getting the Ricoh neck strap for my GX100 but as you suggest it is rather large and obtrusive and would make the camera unpocketable. Instead I managed to thread the strap from my old Olympus Myu-II through one of the eyelets, this is long enough to serve as a neck strap as well as a wrist strap, and doesn't affect pocketability being basically just a loop of 3mm thick cord, about 40cm long. For something as light as a compact, you don't really need a thick strap to spread the weight.

Lili

It's unfortunate that most digital compacts come only with identically useless wrist straps. I considered getting the Ricoh neck strap for my GX100 but as you suggest it is rather large and obtrusive and would make the camera unpocketable. Instead I managed to thread the strap from my old Olympus Myu-II through one of the eyelets, this is long enough to serve as a neck strap as well as a wrist strap, and doesn't affect pocketability being basically just a loop of 3mm thick cord, about 40cm long. For something as light as a compact, you don't really need a thick strap to spread the weight.
Hiro,
I have a Stylus Epic with strap; I will try that :)

Player, agreed the camera needs some secure method of holding.
:thumbs:

Lili

All those accessories, just go with the GX100. A single camera, close to perfect, why are we trying to burden ourselves with the paraphernalia of a DSLR?

Paul.
Paul Had I gotten the GX-100 to start with, I would only have, perhaps, an OVF or two.
But really, for the most part, I find the excellent prime 28 efl lens on my GRD to be enough snd do not even take anything else.

P

Player

hiro, I meant having the neck strap attached to a GRD if you're using an accessory lens like the GT-1. I think of it as a compromise for having the advantage of a different focal length besides 28mm. These accessory lenses make the camera somewhat front heavy, and not really pocketable, plus you might have a VF installed which adds even more size and weight. It's not so much about "spreading the weight," but simply having a way to carry it. If you wore a jacket you could still easily hide the camera, unlike a DSLR.

Lili

hiro, I meant having the neck strap attached to a GRD if you're using an accessory lens like the GT-1. I think of it as a compromise for having the advantage of a different focal length besides 28mm. These accessory lenses make the camera somewhat front heavy, and not really pocketable, plus you might have a VF installed which adds even more size and weight. It's not so much about "spreading the weight," but simply having a way to carry it. If you wore a jacket you could still easily hide the camera, unlike a DSLR.
I agree with you about needing a way to carry the GRD/Supplemental lens combo, the neck strap is one, Hiro's suggestion of the Oly's neck cord is another.
I tried the neck strap from my Stylus Epic with the Gw-1 installed.
Dangling the camera/lens combo from one corner results in them twisting about as one walks, banging the lens into me. While I can conceal the camera, more or less, with in a jacket, having to steady it with one hand negates that.
As a test, I imporvised a neck strap from thick cord attaching to the upper corners of the Ricoh.
It is far more steady that way.
Now to get a 'proper' neck strap and get usedto this method of carry.
For the record, I use my Hexar Af with a heavy duty wrist strap attached to the Tripod socket, wrapping the strap a turn or two about my wrist.
However the Hexar is far more solid than any compact digital camera esp one with a supplemental lens and I am not comfy with this method using the GRD.

P

Player

Lili, I wouldn't think that carrying the GRD, even with an accessory lens, would be much of an issue for a female photographer. Couldn't you just stash it in a handbag or purse, and just pull it out when you were ready to take a picture?

It seems you could even carry around a handbag that's really a photobag in disguise. You wouldn't even need a neck strap. A handbag it seems could easily accomodate your GRD plus accessory lenses and VFs. I'm sure you've thought of that, but I'd be interested in hearing why you don't seem to consider that as an option?

cam

Player, (as a female) i have a Crumpler bag that i sometimes use that doubles as a handbag if i need to carry a purse and the extra lenses. but i usually only do that when i'm going out to shoot and nothing else. otherwise, it's just too small to be practical... as for stashing everything in a regular handbag, i rarely dare do that. if you saw my purse, you'd understand (i was pulled over once by the french police who thought i was carrying a bomb in it)! there's enough gunk that i'd be petrified of damaging a lens or getting dust, etc., in it.

Lili, i use the neckstrap. yes, the ugly Ricoh one and do just fine with it. it takes some getting used to (and vanity be damned), but it works quite nicely. for street shots, i've almost got the angles figured out so i don't even need to look at the screen or VF. my hand is always on the shutter, both to secure it and be ready to take a picture if the need arises. for that special shot, i'll take it off and vow that i'll chop off all my hair!

i'm personally very interested in any more elegant versions of neckstraps that people come up with. i am a little sick of looking like a total dork...

Lili

Player and Cam,
I have quite big purses too, however they are so filled with necessities that I keep my GRD safe from dust and scratches inside the purses by carrying it in a tiny Lowepro bag I've another little LP bag in which I keep the GW-1+HA-1 safe.
As regards neckstraps, they work but do look odd. Also I am quite "healthy" so they need to be long enough to avoid either beating me up or at least avoid attracting too much attention.
My hair stays up while shooting too.
If I find an elegant solution I will let you know :)
WHen I carry my DSLR it is in a Lowepro Slingshot bag that doubles as a basic purse too ;)

Lili

LOL, Lili! i am quite healthy too ;)
Cam, sometime it really bites doesn't it?
One girl I worked with is tiny and elfin.
She's always wanted to be a tall, stacked blonde and there are times I would prefer to be elfin.
We joke about swapping bodies sometimes.
I actually have a cheescake type shot of me with my Pentax K100D, not sure yet about posting it though despite it really illustrating my point about neck straps....

P

Player

Lili, Cam, PMFJI, but you gals have already given the whole handbag/ purse thing much consideration.

Lili, "healthy" is good though. :) And your avatar seems to illustrate your neck strap point, beautifully.

cam

Cam, sometime it really bites doesn't it?
One girl I worked with is tiny and elfin.
it sooooooooooo bites!!! when my GRD bit the dust the dealer asked if i had hit the lens hard somewhere. i just looked down, then up at him and said the lens was WELL protected... he didn't question me again.

Player, no worries! guys automatically think the handbag is great place to put a camera. it's because they've never actually used one. "everything but the kitchen sink" is an apt metaphor for what you're likely to find. for instance, i collect sugar cubes from cafes in case i run into a horse. -- i'm living in Paris... LOL!