The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji F200EXR - A new version of the F31fd

Will

It would be very interesting if it also allows RAW files. That would show whether there really is a greater dynamic range from the sensor or if the difference is mostly the result of in camera processing.

N

nei1

In digital its all processing,its either in camera or in photoshop,there is no substance just an arrangement and re=arrangement of nothing(statistically)Im beginning to think that a j= peg isbetter if you like how the camera treats them.Possibly a j=peg only leica spitting out leica style would have its attraction.AS it is now leica M8 has nothing to separate it from all the other RAW cameras

Will

In digital its all processing,its either in camera or in photoshop,there is no substance just an arrangement and re=arrangement of nothing(statistically)Im beginning to think that a j= peg isbetter if you like how the camera treats them.Possibly a j=peg only leica spitting out leica style would have its attraction.AS it is now leica M8 has nothing to separate it from all the other RAW cameras
But it can only process what the sensor gives it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Had a look at the samples, and they look very good, but the jpeg engine kills fine detail in hair etc. With RAW (and a viewfinder, but I'm about to give up on that in pocket cams), this would be a killer. Even without RAW, it may well be worth a try.

I wish they could make a "pro" version similar to the G10 or Nikon P6000.

I wish even more that they could install this technology on an FF sensor and throw it into a D700 body. Even a DX sensor in a D300 body would be nice. 10+10MP?

jonoslack

:eek:
You're sounding bitter Neil!

Lili

Irony; I ordered a F60fd the night the F200exr was announced.
Great timing.
Ah well I am having fun with this 'obsolete' Fuji :LOL:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Interesting - the feature descriptions include what is referred to as "binning" in astronomy - the option of combining input of adjacent photo sites on the chip to achieve greater sensitivity and lower noise, obviously at the expense of resolution. (Binning is used on astro imaging to match the resolution of the sensor to the resolution of the optical system.) High end astro chips are typically ccd - this would be a useful approach for camera manufacturers who use ccds - they could provide an improved high ISO option. It would be geat if Leica did this on the M9.

One of the consequences is that the Fuji "binned" pixel is not square - its a 1x2 rectangle. This means that resolution is different in the horizontal and vertical directions. This isn't unprecidented - if memory serves (which it rarely does) the original Nikon D1 had rectangular photo sites.

Last edited:

Amin

I'm not too excited about the low light capability, but the wide dynamic range feature is very promising. It's a similar approach to what Fuji did with their DSLRs, and we know that it was effective there.

There is no RAW, the lens is slowish, no hot shoe, controls aren't great, and no manual focus. It's a shirt pocket camera, and the target market is what it is.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
The interesting issue about binning in a photographic application is how does it work the Bayer patten . . . I'd love to see some results.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm not too excited about the low light capability, but the wide dynamic range feature is very promising. It's a similar approach to what Fuji did with their DSLRs, and we know that it was effective there.

There is no RAW, the lens is slowish, no hot shoe, controls aren't great, and no manual focus. It's a shirt pocket camera, and the target market is what it is.
It will be very disappointing if Fuji doesn't use this technology in a more advanced body. The ability to optimize the sensor usage for different applications is a godsend for photographers working under varying circumstances, particularly with difficult ambient light.

Tim

It will be very disappointing if Fuji doesn't use this technology in a more advanced body. The ability to optimize the sensor usage for different applications is a godsend for photographers working under varying circumstances, particularly with difficult ambient light.
I can agree with Amin and Jorgen I'd also like to see Fuji design something with RAW that trys to compete with the GRD, GX200, DP1, G10, LX3 crowd. I think there is room in the market, especially if they can improve some aspect like DR.

4season

Based on the sample photos, it looks alright for what it is, which is a small camera with a lot of noise reduction that probably can't be turned off. I think I'll keep my Sony W300 until something more compelling comes around.

Tim

Irony; I ordered a F60fd the night the F200exr was announced.
Great timing.
Ah well I am having fun with this 'obsolete' Fuji :LOL:
The F60fd was a lot cheaper I bet. The problem with the F200 will be price, for not a lot more I wager, you will be able to get a GX200 or LX3 and have RAW files.

Lili

The F60fd was a lot cheaper I bet. The problem with the F200 will be price, for not a lot more I wager, you will be able to get a GX200 or LX3 and have RAW files.
209.95 at Amazon, 50$ rebate as well.
It actually is quite a sharp little shooter. The High ISO nowhere nearly as bad in comparison to my old F31fd as I had been lead to believe. And it is much slimmer and lighter; has effective IS too
No RAW but for 160$ I cannot complain....

Rawfa

Does anyone know when will it be out? Everywhere it says it's February but so far I cannot find a single place that sells it...