The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 under 500 usd at Amazon

bbodine9

I wonder if the continuous drop in price of the DP1 at Amazon.com is the clearing out of orignal DP1 stock prior to the DP2 release with upgraded firmware etc. It makes sense if they will be upgrading the DP1 internally as well, interesting and hopefully true. Just my thoughts by the way.

Terry

I thought the DP2 was "complimentary" because it had a different focal length lens.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Great deal...I paid almost $600 just a month ago.
DP2 is due soon.....I wonder if they will upgrade the
DP1...

simonclivehughes

This question has come up frequently and so far the consensus is that Sigma will leave the DP1 unchanged. Seems a pity.

Cheers,

DavidE

PMA is just a few weeks way (March 3-5). We could learn then whether Sigma is clearing out the DP1 to make room for an improved model or simply adjusting the price to keep the DP1 competitive. This is a tough market for specialty cameras. As a result, the DP2 could be priced lower than expected. I hope so, as I'm thinking about buying one (if it's not too expensive).

This past week, Leica reduced the price of the M8 to reflect what it was selling for last month with a $1,500 rebate. The M8.2 price hasn't changed. Maybe Sigma is looking for a similar step-up between the DP1 and DP2 with a $100-$200 difference in price.

kai.e.g.

If Sigma were to release a DP-1.5, with the majority of the useability issues of the DP1 addressed (nearly all of which are merely software/performance issues), I wouldn't hesitate to do my part to help Sigma through these tough economic times by buying both it & the DP2 straight away.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The DP1 upgrade could just be a firmware upgrade.
If they fail to address the concerns of it's users,
I would be hesitant to get the DP2. Support is everything
these days. I so look forward to the DP2 but want
my DP1 to behave at it's potential.
shooter