The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G10? What's the matter?

Rawfa

Hi Gang,

I've been visiting the site regularly for a while now and I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that the G10 hasn't been getting much attention. The LX3, GX, GR and DP1 seem to be the big dogs around. I'd like to know what has been keeping the G10 from entering this group of "elite compacts". I have not tried the G10 but I've seen some very nice results and I find the dedicated controls simply awesome. So, I'd like to know what's the deal here...

J

JCdeR

I played around with the G10 for a while; it's big and bulky and it's controls aren't as intuitive as the cameras you mentioned, apart from the LX3, but this at least has an excellent image rendition even at higher Iso's which the Canon clearly doesn't

I also found that anything north of 200 was unacceptable, either very grainy with unnatural kind of grain or blotched, the lens wobbled as well, on mine at least and in terms of speed it was quite slow.

I fail to understand why the G10 has become such a popular camera.

Rawfa

That's heavy. I've seen some full crops where 400 iso seemed pretty decent. But I guess you never know until you try it your self.

J

JCdeR

... these are just my personal preferences/views and I know nothing about cameras and their imagery other than what I see, and the overall rendition I didn't like, printed that is.
But then again many people do like it ... so I guess you'll have to see if you can borrow one somewhere and try it out, thats always the best solution I guess.

Rawfa

Thanks, I will try to get to test one. Even though, as you said it your self, the G10 is pretty bulky for a compact.

Amin

I think this particular Small Sensor forum has always tended towards the less mainstream cameras, ie non-Canons. It began almost as a Ricoh forum, with a minor focus on D-LUXs (and by association, LXs). The G10 is a great and highly evolved compact. I certainly would put it at the top of the class along with the LX3, D-LUX-4, GX200, GRD II, and DP1.

V

VladimirV

I'd like to know what has been keeping the G10 from entering this group of "elite compacts".
The size is one big poblem of the G series. It is just too big to be considered compact and weights as much as the G1 body.
It is very well build though and the controls are nice, aside from the wedding cake that makes up the mode and ISO dial. The OVF also serves no other purpose but to make the camera bigger.

Lili

Rawfa, the G10 is a lovely, well thought out camera. Sadly it is just over the edge of my personal carry-all-the-time size limit :(

bensonga

Lets see some photos then, fellas :)
I'm surprised not to see more G10 photos.
Arashm started a thread here in the Small Sensor section in early February called "post your G10 pictures please". There are several photos there, including a few of my own with a G10. Have a look.

I like the G10 alot....but it's definitely not a pocket camera (unless you have big pockets).

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Doug Peterson from CI had a G10 in Moab maybe he can post a few images. I know he has at least one nice one of me. LOL

Cough it up bud

Rawfa

Arashm started a thread here in the Small Sensor section in early February called "post your G10 pictures please". There are several photos there, including a few of my own with a G10. Have a look.

I like the G10 alot....but it's definitely not a pocket camera (unless you have big pockets).

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Yes, I've checked those photos and REALLY like what I saw. Right now I'm more curious about seeing some portraits and low light stuff.

arashm

Hi Rafa
well I've had my G10 for a while now, and I had a G9 before that.
I'm actually at a bit of a cross road, My biggest issue with it is the low light/ high ISO situations, I feel ISO 400 is max and even then still kind of dodgy... Iso 800 is unusable for my taste, this is with exposing to the right, with no underexposure. If you shoot outside at ISO 100, the camera produces really really nice files.
As everyone has mentioned the camera is also very big and bulky. It definitely feels bulkier than the G9!
My issue with the LX3 is that the Raw Files are not supported in C1, and I would have to get the D-Lux 4 just so I can run files in C1, but that camera is priced a bit more than I would like to pay for a P/S.
One thing I've come to really like about the G10 is the rear screen.
I will post some more images for you!
hope this helps.
am
BTW I see your in Barcelona... what a great city... specially since I'm looking at fog and snow outside my window right now :)

V

VladimirV

My issue with the LX3 is that the Raw Files are not supported in C1, and I would have to get the D-Lux 4 just so I can run files in C1
Since the RAW files are identical you should be able to just rename the files to get them supported. The only differente is as far as I know the ending of the file so a batch rename should take care of this and allow you to open the files in C1. You should try it with some LX3 RAW files you can find online.

bensonga

As everyone has mentioned the camera is also very big and bulky. It definitely feels bulkier than the G9!
I also owned the G9 and now the G10. I had a G2 originally. I wouldn't call the G10 "very big and bulky"....it's just not a slim pocket camera. To me, big and bulky is a DSLR or MFDB camera. I have the G10 in a very small Tamrac case that goes with me everywhere. The G10 is a bit larger than the G9, mainly because it has a larger hand grip on the right side....which many folks added to the G9 anyways. It would fit in a coat pocket if I was so inclined to carry it that way.

I agree that it's not a good high ISO camera, which is disappointing for many. I never shoot above ISO 200 in any case, so it's not a problem for me.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska