The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with RX100M4

4season

Brian,

Lovely photos! I've never set foot aboard a cruise ship, but vaguely remember seeing the inside of an ocean liner as a kid and finding it very impressive. Sometimes I think I'd like to experience crossing the Atlantic in style about the Queen Mary 2, but that's just one of hundreds of ideas.

Gear-wise, I feel as if we've suddenly all become very wealthy: There are so many good choices out there now, and both the technical specifications and prices would have seemed like pure fantasy not so long ago. Not even medium format has been immune. Wasn't it just a few years ago that 1/1.7" sensor cameras like Panasonic's LX2 and Canon's S100 were the serious compacts to beat, and an entry-level medium format outfit was priced in the mid-$30K range? And people were in awe of the Nikon D700's ISO 6400 performance?

Jeff

Brian Mosley

Hi Jeff,

google "repositioning cruises" to find some excellent deals on transatlantic cruises... this was our first cruise, and was a fantastic experience.

Of course, you're right about the progress of cameras - we're totally spoiled for choice!

I do love the pocketability of the RX100 mk 4 together with the superb little popup EVF - which I use most of the time, especially in good light for framing.

DSC01925lz.jpg

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Another street view from Lisbon... fantastic city, would love to spend a few days street shooting here.

DSC01938lz.jpg

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Alport Castles, Peak District... must return for a sunrise view of this location.
DSC02393lz.jpg
Hope you're all enjoying a peaceful Sunday.

Brian

Brian Mosley

I'm beginning to get more familiar with this little camera - enough configuration options to keep an engineer happy for a while :)

Overcast today, so headed for the woods this evening... the inbuilt ND filter and tilt screen proved useful here.

DSC02641.jpg

Looking forward to more RX100 IV users arriving here with images to share :)

Kind regards

Brian

Tim

Brian,
thanks heaps for the real world samples.
From your shots the Mk IV seems better IQ than the previous three.
I am getting GAS now except the price is keeping that under control for now.

Brian Mosley

Thanks Tim,

I'm extremely satisfied with this tiny powerhouse of a camera. I'm just looking more into configuring the buttons and dials to make it more intuitive.

Thanks for looking

Brian

V

Vivek

Brian, Why did you buy this camera? These still pics can be done with pretty much any camera out there.

Brian Mosley

Brian, Why did you buy this camera? These still pics can be done with pretty much any camera out there.
Hi Vivek,

simply to have the best available image quality and capability available in this most compact size, so that I'll be most likely to have the camera with me wherever I go.

The image quality compares well with anything I've seen posted online - and the features of the camera are leading edge in my view.

In addition, my youngest daughter is interested in writing /directing/acting and has started using the camera to film her own small projects. The video quality is outstanding and the camera is unimposing.

Do you have a pocket camera in addition to your ILC's? Where do you feel the compromise over using your larger cameras?

Thanks

Brian

V

Vivek

Awesome, Brian! :)

All the best to your daughter! :)

My pocket configuration is a NEX-5N (and its variants) and a few assorted tiny primes. I will end up get one of the M4. The tech packed in this is just astounding.

Lucille

Some wonderful images found in this thread. I own a Rx100 mIII, these little cameras have IQ that punches well above it's tiny 1 inch sensor.

Brian Mosley

A couple of shots to practice handheld HDR, using Capture One Pro to create the tiffs which I'm processing with PhotoAcute, and tone mapping with Lightzone... scaling, sharpening and converting to sRGB with Qimage Ultimate.

DSC03068-DSC03076_PAlz.jpg

DSC03122-DSC03130_PAlz.jpg

Kind regards

Brian