The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with RX100M4

raist3d

Hi Jeff,

I've always been looking for the optimum balance between image quality, useability and portability... this feels like it's almost at the sweet spot.

Kind regards

Brian
I always keep looking for that with a bias to small. I tried the Canon G7X recently... it's funny - in some areas it's not as bad as the reviews say. But the lens.. meh. I mean it's not useless but has this ... haze depending on which focal length... like macro mode wide open is pretty blah. Glamour filterTM built in, because it's smeary-blurry. :)

Get the impression the Sony (particularly the MKIII/MKIV) do better (much better) here. I considered these types of camera again because of the freedom to carry something with you at all times, choose focals like primes.

My #1 problem always is, I like to shoot at night and that's where it's tougher for me to use these. But man in daylight they sure are nice.

- Ricardo

Lucille

the tiny Rx100 mIII is my goto body for my coin Photography, it does a better job for me then all my full frames.

Brian Mosley

So I figured out how to trigger a burst of 9 shots at 16fps at the same exposure level.

This is useful for producing sets of RAW files to process with PhotoAcute for super-resolution (almost 78Mp resultant image, with greater colour tonality)

I expose to the right at base ISO using the zebra line display to avoid blowing the highlights.

Here's an example - both images reduced to 1200 on the long edge.

Processed from single RAW
{Q}DSC05396 1.jpg

Processed from a set of 9 exposures
{Q}DSC05396 1-DSC05404 1_PA.jpg

The trick is to set the Auto ISO limits both to ISO 125, and use the Manual Exposure mode with 9 shot HDR, including a 2 second delay before HDR burst.

This way, I set aperture and shutter speed manually using the zebra line display as a guide to expose to the right. I press and release the shutter release button, and steady the camera for the 9 shot burst which occurs after a 2 second delay.

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Hi, just confirming, the 9 burst shot mode on the RX100 iv is for HDR?
Yes, that's the intention - but it can be used to produce a burst of 9 identically exposed shots at 16fps handheld, after a 2 second delay to brace the camera.

I'm using Capture One Pro to generate tiffs which I process with PhotoAcute to stack the 9 shots, followed by LightZone to do the tone mapping and colour adjustments.

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

This afternoon, we had a brief visit to Tideswell and the Cathedral in the Peak - always have the RX100 m4 with me these days.

DSC05913-DSC05921_PA_LZ.jpg

DSC05796-DSC05804_PA_LZ.jpg

DSC05895-DSC05903_PA_LZ.jpg

I used my now standard approach for best quality stills, expose to the right, 9 shot burst, process using Capture One Pro -> PhotoAcute -> Lightzone.

Kind regards

Brian

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yes, that's the intention - but it can be used to produce a burst of 9 identically exposed shots at 16fps handheld, after a 2 second delay to brace the camera.

I'm using Capture One Pro to generate tiffs which I process with PhotoAcute to stack the 9 shots, followed by LightZone to do the tone mapping and colour adjustments.

Kind regards

Brian
Brian, I am interested in PhotoAcute software. Are you able to hand-hold the camera totally steady for nine shots? It looks like one would need the pro version to do what you are doing. Is that correct?

Your result is amazing!

Brian Mosley

Brian, I am interested in PhotoAcute software. Are you able to hand-hold the camera totally steady for nine shots? It looks like one would need the pro version to do what you are doing. Is that correct?

Your result is amazing!
Hi Cindy, I'm afraid you will need the pro version - but before you purchase, please note that development may have ceased (or hopefully just paused) of this software. I've raised a support request, and will report back before recommending it to purchase.

To be clear, PhotoAcute works perfectly well for all models of the RX100 provided that you export to tiff from a decent RAW converter - import these tiff files into PhotoAcute and then export to tiff for final tone mapping / pp.

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Just a quick update on PhotoAcute - I'm still trying to reach the developer (Eugene Panich) to see whether there's any chance of continuing given the latest cameras so well suited to super-resolution treatment.

I'll report back when I've reached him.

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

I got around to doing a screenshot to show how processing 9 shot bursts with PhotoAcute gives more dynamic range and resolution.

compare.jpg

Click on the image to see at 100%

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Fantastic to have company Ricardo!

It will be fascinating to see what you make of this camera for your needs.

Cheers

Brian