The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Corel Painter

DavidE

I was messing around with Corel Painter and a Wacom graphics tablet, when it dawned on me I could use them to alter my photos. Hello, pseudo art.

The first two are DP1 images. The third is a GRD2 image.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

DavidE

This time I used Painter's chalk setting with a GRD2 image. My wife really does draw (unlike me), and this is her favorite (then again, she's partial to chickens).

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

Using Painter with a Wacom tablet, you can apply an artistic style and then brush away the painterly effect in areas where you want the photographic detail to show through.

Chandeliers at the Wynn hotel, Las Vegas. Shot with a DP1.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Lisa

There are possibilities there. Some don't work for me, but the first one (I like it!) and the chalk chickens do.

Lisa

DavidE

Lisa, those are my favorites, too.

It is hit or miss. Someone with more artistic talent could do more with the processes in Painter and manually fine-tune the results. I've taken the easy way and applied the automated styles. Then I've tried to pull the images back from having a cookie-cutter appearance.

Part of the challenge is to find the best image to fit a style. Assuming I have time before I return the graphics tablet, the next step might be to customize an artistic style to suit a particular image.

Here's another one. Venetian Hotel, Las Vegas. Shot with a GRD2 -- though with this amount of manipulation, the camera doesn't much matter.