The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

words vs. pictures

smokysun

thanks, neil. i think this story absolutely crucial.

the real problem of the creative person is not technique or instrument (both of those can be quantified and are therefore attractive and seductive).

what a person needs is a subject matter that resonates within them. eli weisel and the holocaust, aa milne and pooh, dostoyevsky and the house of the dead.

one photojournalist says he never takes a picture unless he sees the caption at the same time.

unless you find something that calls forth your wit (elliot erwitt), your ego (klein), or your poetics (alvarez bravo), the work sinks into the sea of billions of photographs.

a writer friend and i looked at the bravo book this morning. she pointed how each two pictures were picked to reinforce each other (great editing).

http://www.amazon.com/Manuel-Alvare...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235528962&sr=8-1

then she said, the problem is everything has been done. unless you were the first...

i thought of brassai and night-time paris and graffiti.

edward weston and peppers.

i don't think that stops us if peppers, graffiti, or night-time paris resonate within us enough. and enough seems to me the key word.

still stymied, but nobody can take pictures of me like i do!

best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

dp1

Last edited: