The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ortholith - GX200 ONLY - Other's Need Not Apply

O

Oxide Blu

I think I need to be in therapy. I've been playing around with the ortholith function built into the Ricoh GX200. Kind of cool, haven't got it totally figured out, yet. As far as I know it is only in the GX200, never heard of it in any other camera.

For those of you suffering without a GX200, here is what it does... All images below are out of camera, no post processing except to resize for posting here.

Yesterday was overcast, no shadows. Here is a JPEG reference of the scene:

There are three possible levels of ortho processing in-camera.

Here is LIGHT:

Here is NORMAL:

Here is DEEP:

With a handful of Scooby snacks I was able to get a model to pose for me so I could try this stuff with flash:

Note to self: black and white dogs are already ortho'd.

Cool detail in things with lines:

If you zoom in real close and look at the pixels in any of those pics you'll see it is not a true ortholith process; black or white without gray. In the images created by the GX200 there are some nifty gray pixels in there too, just not enough to make a difference.

J

JCdeR

you mean that my GX200 can actually do that straight out of the camera?

why would one though?

J

JCdeR

Seems like a long time Passee Warholian sixties sort of thing.... but then again with respect to current perfect pixels, colors and resolution it is something different.

And after all perfection is quite boring. I will give it a try and see the result although I would welcome some more Nifty Grey Little Pixels... only a few more....

V

VladimirV

you mean that my GX200 can actually do that straight out of the camera?

why would one though?
All Ricohs can do this straight out of the camera. This is the Text scene mode (even the GRDs have it as 1 out of 2 scene modes ;).
It is meant to make it easier to take pictures of text and documents but can give you some great results if you play around with it.

You can use it for portraits of people, if there is enough contrast in the scene you get very good results.

ShiroKuro

Grd2 Has this feature also ; )
Text Mode... three different settings ..Deep ,Normal and light

Last edited: