The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 at PMA?

Rawfa

At Photokina Sigma said they would have the DP2 ready at PMA. Just a couple of days, now. I wonder how much it will go for. I'm thinking it will probably be around 800$. Though I would preffer if Oly would finally stop teasing us and released their m 4/3 rangefinder.

Brian Mosley

Saw it yesterday - didn't bother to play with it though, the world has moved on imho, the Panasonic G1 is already here, the G1HD will be even better, the Olympus m4/3rd offering will be even better... meanwhile, we have a DP1 with a 40mm lens :sleep006:

Kind Regards

Brian

trisberg

Brian,

There is no 40mm for the G1 yet and the G1 is a lot bigger, so DP2 could still be of interest. I'm also waiting to see what Olympus will do.

-Thomas

Rawfa

Really?! I didn't know the price was out yet. Would you mind sharing how much is the Dp2 going for?

cam

much longer and more substantial thread up now.... the best news is that our very own VladimirV will be checking it out this week.

V

VladimirV

.... the best news is that our very own VladimirV will be checking it out this week.
Thanks Cam, not sure the guys in the DP Review forum are so happy about that after my views of the DP1 generated some heated discussions last year ;) .

I will be at Focus tomorrow and will try to get a hands-on with the DP2 and post my impressions about it and the show on my blog and here.

cam

LOL, Cristian, i am of the mind that i should *always* listen to you! we seem to have the same sensibilities...

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Really?! I didn't know the price was out yet. Would you mind sharing how much is the Dp2 going for?
Rafa...

I left a $500.00 deposit on it back in early December....As soon as it arrives it's mine. Here in Philly, there's 1 guy that will have the camera and it will sell out in no time...thus the deposit....

I know I'll pay more than most for it but I want it that bad. The DP1 has destroyed any thoughts about any other camera for me...bar none.

I think with the 1 & 2 I'm ready....I'm ready man and it ain't a pretty site....

Rawfa

Rafa...

I left a $500.00 deposit on it back in early December....As soon as it arrives it's mine. Here in Philly, there's 1 guy that will have the camera and it will sell out in no time...thus the deposit....

I know I'll pay more than most for it but I want it that bad. The DP1 has destroyed any thoughts about any other camera for me...bar none.

I think with the 1 & 2 I'm ready....I'm ready man and it ain't a pretty site....
I totally read you on the DP1 setting the bar. IMO I think it even beats some DSLR (not at high iso though). But I really wish they would do a revision on the DP1 because I love 28mm.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Rafa,

The thing is with the DP1 is that the images print soooooo silver like.
The camera is very compact, compared to my Leica's.....it's just an amazing camera and I wish I could see the problems others have with it but I am a hopeless romantic and I am in love with this camera....

The DP2 will just be another focal length for me......with both...it's a sweet pair.....
Don

V

VladimirV

LOL, Cristian, i am of the mind that i should *always* listen to you! we seem to have the same sensibilities...
Thanks Cam! :)

I have been to Focus yesterday and have handled the DP1 and while I still think the build feels plasticky and a bit too boxy, I also feel the DP2 is what the DP1 should have been a year ago. It does not feel like an unfinished product anymore (although the firmware was unfinished), the new QS menu is a huge improvement and although it can't be configured like the Adj. menu in Ricoh cameras it has the main features there. The screen is still washed out and has a green cast but it now has a faster refresh rate and there is no ghosting anymore when panning around.
I am writing the full report and will post in on my blog later on.

A quick word to the Canon SX200 IS, who at Canon thought that having the flash popped up all the time when the camera is on was a good idea?!? This is just stupid. If you consider the camera also get some tape for the flash ;) .

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Vlad,
Looking forward to you thoughts on the DP2.
I don't pay much attention to the stuff DPreview puts
out. They never seem objective.
Don

cam

thank you, sweets! excellent write up.

i'm afraid for me, it's probably too little, too late. if i hadn't gotten stung (and stuck) with the DP1, i' think i'd feel differently... oh well, never say never (though i have been banned from buying it on the home front -- he doesn't get my utter infatuation with the Foveon sensor).

W

wbrandsma

If I had the money available I would ease of your pain with your DP1 Cam ;)

And thank you Cristi for your write up.

cam

you'd make it sing, Wouter! as you do all you use....

seriously, the sensor is to die for. i just had no patience for the interface, etc., and the f/4 ISO 800 limit left me with an unusable camera for what i do most of the time.

i keep on dreaming of two frankenstein cameras:
1) GRDII with the Foveon sensor and the focusing capabilities and body of the GRD
2) an R-D1 with the Foveon sensor and a Hexar AF shutter noise :D

simonclivehughes

Cam,

For the benefit of those new to the DP1 who may be following thread, I'll point out that ISOs above 800 are quite doable by underexposing (-EV) for either 1600 or 3200 and then PP the files to bring out the exposure to what you intend. This may or may not work for you given your comfort zone with the interface.

Cheers,