The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Huge Dilemma

J

JCdeR

I have problems .....

I need to get rid of (sell!) either my GRD-II or my GX200. one of the two has to go. I love them both dearly, I use them both but fact of the matter is that one of them has to go....

I can't get to a conclusion .... one minute it's the GX the other the GRD.... and there is no way to keep them both....

Help me please!

ecliffordsmith

Hi,

Well, firstly, I am sorry to hear you are in this situation. It is pretty hard to offer a suggestion though I am afraid without a little more detail. Do you have any other camera equipment that could cover other focal lengths?

I have the GRD2 but have never used the GX models.

If you can live with 28mm I would keep the GRD based on the high contrast lens which gives nice crisp images. Does the GX compare IQ wise in your opinion?

Good luck!

O

Oxide Blu

No, on second thought, keep the GRDII, get rid of the GX200.

O

Oxide Blu

I had it right the first time; keep the GX200, get rid of the GRDII.

J

JCdeR

Clifford,

I love the fact that these camera I can actually slip into my pocket wherever I go, I like the GRD IQ slightly better than the GX200, but then I like the 24-28-35-50-73 possibilities of the GX200 than the "mere" 28mm on my GRD. I'm not a pixel-peeper/IQ freak but I do like "proper" IQ which I think both cameras supply.

I prefer the OVF to the DVF, but then again I hardly ever use both.... I look at the GRD images and love the crispy contrast richness, but at the same time see the limitations of the 28mm... etc. etc. etc. the pro's and con's of each match up so to speak.

As for other stuff I have a D200 plus a number of 2.8 zooms and quality primes, I just hate carrying this stuff about though, I only use it for shooting my little kid, whom obviously is fast and constantly hyperactive as little kids are... but for the rest I am perfectly pleased with my little Ricoh's, and there is no way I can keep both however much I would like too. both ways It's appr. 400€ we are talking about and these days this is quite a lot of money, 2 years ago I wouldn't of thought twice and kept them both, but you know how it is lately, lost quite some cash on the Nasdaq, have to fill up pension funds etc. etc..... better safe than sorry....

O

Oxide Blu

I have both a GRDII and a GX200. They are two entirely different cameras, different uses. If I had to choose one of them I would keep the GX200 because I expect a GRDIII with eVF is in the future -- meaning I see myself with a GX200 and a GRDIII. I don't see myself needing more camera than the GX200 anytime soon. When there is a big change over in small sensor cameras I'll look to replace it, but I don't think that is coming any time soon. And Ricoh's support is second to none.

Paratom

From the brain I would keep the GX200 (because of image stabi and zoom as well as 24mm), from the heart I would keep the GRDII.
Maybe make a list in which situations you take photographs (for example street, holyday, sunday walk, event, family ....) and then decide for which topic you would prefer which camera.
The other thing is: which one have you used more often?

J

JCdeR

yep your right .... The GX is the one to keep,

but then I look at the GRD and it has this sad sort of "look" at me, know what I mean, or is it all inside my head?

Actually I think I will keep the GX, I am now, as I write, shooting images of my sons dinosaurs at macro level with both. After completing one set I think the GX is better at macro dinosaurs....

step by step I will get there.... eventually

J

JCdeR

and yes the IS totally forgot about that feature, it has been helpful in the past week (after found out I needed to turn it it on)

J

JCdeR

But aren't Ricoh's the best little cameras on the face of the planet. I have tried the LX3, the G10 and the P6000 and they have a lot, but they just don't have "it" don't know what it is, but Ricoh's have what I look for in Human beings.... (getting silly now hey!)

I reckon I keep the GX...

J

JCdeR

The GR-Digital II is now cleaned up and packed in to be returned, hence, I will keep the GX200 .... decision is final!!!

Not reading anymore threads until the GRD is in the careful and delicate hands of our local German postal service.....

:)

mazor

either choice is a good choice, depends on your personal photography style. fixed prime style or zoom style.

MAzor

J

JCdeR

Last minute I packed in the GX instead of the GRD ..... The overall of the GRD is better, although not as versatile as the GX.

I have decided to name her Sophie.....