The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A man with good taste

Rawfa

Jesus H Christ! His B&W pictures are amazing.
Do you know what type of treatment does he give his photos? Workflow?

Erik Five

A little to much post prosessing IMO. My personal preference would be less cause many of the images is "to much" for my taste. Its all about taste I guess ;)

Rawfa

I've felt this way about his color work and a couple of the B&W, but there's A LOT of good stuff there too.

S

SimonL

You can get the same sort of effect by using contrast enhancement plugins on single images.

Some of my 'Street' stuff has been criticised as HDR although how the hell I'm supposed to use a tripod when doing it I've simply no idea

Rawfa

Simon, I've juct checked your galleries and you do have some photos that look a bit like HDR. What plugin did you use? Is it for Photoshop?

O

Oxide Blu

I absolutely love HRD...but I've never managed to fully get good results.
No problem, the new Ricoh camera will do it for you, on the fly. :thumbup:

(Maybe I'm expecting too much from Ricoh. :D )

Rawfa

What would be amazing would be if Ricoh came out with a CMOS version of the GX series ;) Now THAT is what I want to see.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
There's to much in the HDR conversions.....

I am struggling to see the image and all that happens is that I get lost in the process.....

I'm an old coot but I see things the way I see things......

The process detracts from the message/image and does not add to the experience...

D

ddk

A little to much post prosessing IMO. My personal preference would be less cause many of the images is "to much" for my taste. Its all about taste I guess ;)
There's to much in the HDR conversions.....

I am struggling to see the image and all that happens is that I get lost in the process.....
The process detracts from the message/image and does not add to the experience...
I agree 100%, the actual content isn't anything special, its all dependent on heavy use of a few plugins which can pass on the screen but fail miserably in print. This process is done to death over the past few years, imho.

beamon

Good to see a few other OFs in here that lean to the purist's side of photography. Way too much for me as well, but I must admit, up front, to a bias against HDR work.

My take is that if the troops who took those marvelous photos on the recent Moab trip were to have used HDR techniques, they'd have ended up looking unrealistic, also.

A function of my age and upbringing, I suppose, but photography, to me, has always been about capturing what is!

Ok, shields up! :argue:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
It's not that I'm a purest...I just love the art of seeing.....

when an image is presented to me, I love to savor it and try to feel the photographer in it...If I can't......

Next....

D

ddk

Good to see a few other OFs in here that lean to the purist's side of photography. Way too much for me as well, but I must admit, up front, to a bias against HDR work.

My take is that if the troops who took those marvelous photos on the recent Moab trip were to have used HDR techniques, they'd have ended up looking unrealistic, also.

A function of my age and upbringing, I suppose, but photography, to me, has always been about capturing what is!

Ok, shields up! :argue:
I'm not a purist either, actually far from it, in this case I'm just not impressed with the content nor the type and quality of post processing. I've seen good HDR and it can be very impressive when done well, we don't have that here, I don't even think that these are HDR images, they look more like simple PS plug-ins than anything else.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Dave,
another thing is...it's easier to pull off some effects and such in Color...not so easy in B&W.....There's some nice HDR stuff on this forum, ain't sayin names...,certainly better than that stuff......Am I being critical....yes!