The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there any difference btween the DLux 3 and the LX2?

V

VladimirV

I spoke with a camera dealer about it, the Leica just has more accessories with a nice leather pouch and the warranty is longer. If this is worth the extra money is up to you to decide, I don't think it is really worth it. In the UK it's 1.5x the price so way too espensive compared with the Panasonic.

Looking at the comparisson shots the Leica images seem to be softer although the auto WB appears slightly better.

gromitspapa

Going from memory, I thought the Leica had it's own imaging-processing and came bundled with some software not included with the Panasonic, in addition to the longer warranty.

Maggie O

Going from memory, I thought the Leica had it's own imaging-processing and came bundled with some software not included with the Panasonic, in addition to the longer warranty.
The D-Lux 3 comes with Photoshop Elements and that gets you a download of ACR. Not so with the LX2.

S

Sean_Reid

This is an age old (modern age-old) Leica-Panasonic question. With all respect to the dealer, I don't think most dealers have done rigorous enough comparisons to really answer this question. So, they're relying on second and third-hand information like many must do.

The only time I tested this carefully was when I compared the RAW files from a Digilux 2 and an LC-1. Even in the RAW files (which are rarely fully "raw" from any camera) there were some minor differences in color, contrast and saturation. But, again, they really were minor. The JPEGs can tend to differ a bit more because the firmware tweaks the D2 files a bit differently than does the firmware for the LC-1 files.

So, I suspect (but could not confirm) that there are only minor differences, if any at all, between RAW files from the D-Lux 3 and LX2. So, then it does come down to body differences, cost, included items, warranty, etc.

Cheers,

Sean