The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Personal review of the Huawei P9 camera functions

biglouis

I've created a small review of my personal experiences with the Huawei P9 smartphone, concentrating on the camera functions. I hope you find it useful. The review includes a sample gallery of full size jpegs to download.

You can access the review here.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Bugleone

Excellent, succinct and measured review of the camera elements. One thing i'm hazy about;....do the two cameras combine during RAW capture?....to give a 24mpx sensor(s) Also, I assume this is an Android device with all the usual 'stuff'...(?)

biglouis

Excellent, succinct and measured review of the camera elements. One thing i'm hazy about;....do the two cameras combine during RAW capture?....to give a 24mpx sensor(s) Also, I assume this is an Android device with all the usual 'stuff'...(?)
Thanks for the comment. The dimensions of the raw file are 2960x3952 which is 11,697,920 pixels. So, although you get a double sized raw file of 23Mb on disk, the actual pixels remain in the 12mpx range.

In comparison, the jpeg format gives you a file of 2976x3968 which is 11,808,768. However the size on disk of a jpeg file is considerably smaller and in the range of 3Mb.

I am assuming there is a lot of extra XML information in the raw file which allows it to be processed in a raw programme like LR.

Hopefully some other readers with a better understanding of RAW vs storage file sizes can give a better explanation.

LouisB