The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Advertisement in Australia

Terry

Jack and Guy,
Can we send you on a mission at PMA!!!! After your meeting with Leica will you guys check out the Sugma booth pleeeeeeeeeze!

kai.e.g.

Max ISO is 800, combined with max aperture of f/4, it's definitely somewhat limiting for darker scenes, at least for some people. Combined with its not being nearly as 'pocketable' as a GRD or even GX100... I'm thinking the GRD2 still might win out in the "take-everywhere-with-quality" stakes - though obviously not in terms of noise most likely. It's certainly going to be very interesting to see some samples & hear some feedback about the DP-1!!

Lili

Alas, still not a digital Hexar AF :(
It may be of interest still if one thinks of it as a digital Fuji GSW690 to the GRD's 35mm film GR.

Terry

Max ISO is 800, combined with max aperture of f/4, it's definitely somewhat limiting for darker scenes, at least for some people. Combined with its not being nearly as 'pocketable' as a GRD or even GX100... I'm thinking the GRD2 still might win out in the "take-everywhere-with-quality" stakes - though obviously not in terms of noise most likely. It's certainly going to be very interesting to see some samples & hear some feedback about the DP-1!!
I am very curious to see the reviews of this camera. I've been curious about it and checking progress for the last year. I am not in any rush for another small sensor camera and do like what I've seen from the GRD II and GX100. I am with you that f4 and ISO 800 could be a problem as I've used ISO 1250 and f2 with a slow shutter speed when out at a some restaurants/bars with friends. If I am stuck using the DP1 as a good light camera my d-lux3 works just fine for the sized prints I would need. I was looking for it to really shine where my other small sensor cameras don't in low light.

PeterA

I dont think My M8ate has anything to worry about - but some of teh lower 'consumer' end CaNikon DSLRs will probably be in competition with a new product - and yeah I have been waiting for just such a nice lil portable.

H

helgipelgi

Yeah, it's on the previous page -- interesting what they say about the lens:

DP Review said:
"16.6mm F4 lens designed exclusively for the DP1
The DP1 is equipped with a 16.6mm F4 lens, equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm SLR camera, which has been designed exclusively for DP1. The large-diameter of aspherical glass provides low distortion and high contrast images. It also offers superior peripheral brightness. The super multi-layer coating reduces flare and ghosting. It allows photographers to take pictures in difficult light conditions. This lens and SLR-sized image sensor provides natural shallow depth-of-field."
Just marketing gibberish, or is there something I'm not seeing here? Is the Foveon more sensitive to light than regular CMOS/CCD?

L

Lewis

It certainly looks the part, but if their SD14 was anything to go by it'll be overpriced and not as impressive as the hype suggests.. I hope i'm wrong though, as i'd like one!
Still seems Ricoh are the only company that think about the design of the camera in depth though. The Dial on my Leica D Lux 3 used to get turned every time I removed it ffrom the leather case as it had no 'lock' on it so to speak. When I made the tranisition to the Ricoh it just seemed all the controls were in the right place. I literally have no gripes with the functionality of it. Not sure if Sigma have thought out their design as it looks to similar to the D Lux 3...I hope i'm mistaken though.

Lili

Given that Sigma, for whatever reason, have foregone low light competence with their choice of a slow lens and low ISO, the only IQ advantages remaining might be the greater Dynamic Range implicit to a larger sensor.
Hence my earlier comparison of it to the GSW690 medium format (6x9cm) rf camera with a fixed 65mm (28mm efl) f5.6 lens.
While the Fuji could and can be used with fast film, it does not have a fast lens.
I still do not understand how Sigma can claim shallow DOF tho.
Physics is physics.

H

helgipelgi

I still do not understand how Sigma can claim shallow DOF tho.
Physics is physics.
Possibly with a normal/tele adapter lens?

Anyway, I hope someone will be able to play with it at PMA and post pictures. And btw. if the Sigma booth happens to be unusually well lit, then we know the reason :)

Maggie O

I'll just point out that last year Sigma said all the same things (including a "Spring" release date) and had cameras in their booth and, well, it's still vaporware.

When Popflash has one in stock, I'll believe it.

cam

I'll just point out that last year Sigma said all the same things (including a "Spring" release date) and had cameras in their booth and, well, it's still vaporware.

When Popflash has one in stock, I'll believe it.
Maggie, my understanding is that this *is* a serious release.

S

Sean_Reid

If it's even half of what it promises to be, I'll be sorely tempted to get one. It might even make me forget about the Ricoh.

But it won't really be a small sensor camera, will it?
No it won't be but we might as well discuss here anyway.

Note the focus wheel, that's exactly what Ricoh, Leica, etc. should be doing with their compact cameras.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

I think pocketability could be an issue; it's over 50mm thick, according to the specs. The Height & Width are just 1mm larger in each direction compared to the GX-100... but the thickness could be a worry... it's about as thick as my SLR.
50 mm is 10 mm thicker than the GX-100 but still, I think, slim enough for a jacket pocket.

Cheers,

Sean

Maggie O

No it won't be but we might as well discuss here anyway.

Note the focus wheel, that's exactly what Ricoh, Leica, etc. should be doing with their compact cameras.

Cheers,

Sean
I did take notice of that and you're right- every single compact digital camera should have one. It made the DP1 all the more attractive.

S

Sean_Reid

Yeah, it's on the previous page -- interesting what they say about the lens:

Just marketing gibberish, or is there something I'm not seeing here? Is the Foveon more sensitive to light than regular CMOS/CCD?
Marketing...ISO is ISO (give or take a 1/3 stop here and there).

Cheers,

Sean

V

VladimirV

This is true but then the DP1 has only the focus wheel and no shutter and appreture and this I think would be more impotant.

The max ISO of 800 together with an f4 lens could be an issue in low light situations but also a big disapointment is that is does not have a macro mode (min focus distance 30cm! :confused:).

I think the GRD II has a lot of advantages over the DP1 and for now at least the DP1 looks like the Fuji F30 "great sensor, shame about the rest". But I am looking forward to use one when/if it comes out.

Given the choice today I'd still buy a GRD II or GX100.