The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP2 next month?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Bill,
My dealer here in Philly tells me no more than 2 weeks....he expects a good supply and I asked him to let me know how many he gets, as I would like some friends to get in on the deal.....we'll see....don

fordfanjpn

Bill,
My dealer here in Philly tells me no more than 2 weeks....he expects a good supply and I asked him to let me know how many he gets, as I would like some friends to get in on the deal.....we'll see....don
Don,

I haven't been able to get any word from anyone here in Japan, but I expect to be the first one in line when it does come out. Good luck to both of us. :thumbs:

Bill

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Good move to wait.....
I hear that the Mac Mini is gettin re-done...again.

I did a mission Sunday. Used the DP1 only..
f8 iso 800 gave me about 1/500 - 1/1000..
the iq knocked my socks off.... no blown highlights or lost
shadows....remarkable...

fordfanjpn

Good move to wait.....
I hear that the Mac Mini is gettin re-done...again.

I did a mission Sunday. Used the DP1 only..
f8 iso 800 gave me about 1/500 - 1/1000..
the iq knocked my socks off.... no blown highlights or lost
shadows....remarkable...
I've been running mine at EV -0.7. Are you using any exposure compensation, or do you run it at zero?

Bill

fordfanjpn

What are you hearing on the Mini....I'm contemplating one but I'm a little bothered by the hard drive choices. I would have liked a fast SSD option.
The new Mini has already been introduced. I'm not so concerned about the internal drive because I tend to use externals for most of my files and only use the internal drive for the OS. The video looks a lot better and will drive two monitors, including the 30". It will also handle up to 4GB of memory now (although I wouldn't buy that memory from Apple). The Apple site has the info on the new Mini.

Bill

Terry

The new Mini has already been introduced. I'm not so concerned about the internal drive because I tend to use externals for most of my files and only use the internal drive for the OS. The video looks a lot better and will drive two monitors, including the 30". It will also handle up to 4GB of memory now (although I wouldn't buy that memory from Apple). The Apple site has the info on the new Mini.

Bill
OK, I thought I responded to a more current post. I've been working on this decision for the past week. Yes, I use external storage as well. I still thought a faster drive for apps was better. I will do the memory from Apple. We get a small discount and I'm not keen on opening it up.

fordfanjpn

Bill, I was running at -3 or -7 but I wasn't liken the results....I run zero unless I want 1600 or 3200.....
I really, really hate blown highlights, so I usually run my digital cameras at minus something. What was it you didn't like about -3 or -7 (I assume you mean -.3 or -.7)?

Bill

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I really, really hate blown highlights, so I usually run my digital cameras at minus something. What was it you didn't like about -3 or -7 (I assume you mean -.3 or -.7)?

Bill
Bill,
It seemed to lack all the dynamic range I love.
I'm a raw shooter and the DP1 does a good job
of capturing what I want. In color I probably would not
change anything either. In b&w, it's all there....
Sometimes in PP I process some whites to zone 9 or 10
just for the dynamic range.
By the way, at 800 theres very little noise.
Don

fordfanjpn

Bill,
It seemed to lack all the dynamic range I love.
I'm a raw shooter and the DP1 does a good job
of capturing what I want. In color I probably would not
change anything either. In b&w, it's all there....
Sometimes in PP I process some whites to zone 9 or 10
just for the dynamic range.
By the way, at 800 theres very little noise.
Don
I do shoot a lot at 800, I always shoot raw and I almost always process for B&W, but I have been keeping the EV at minus .7. Maybe I should set it back to zero for a while and see what I get. Thanks.

Bill

simonclivehughes

Bill, I'm like you, I'm generally running all of my cameras (including the DP1) at EV -.7. The only time I'll deviate from this is when I'm shooting really high ISOs so that I expose to the right as much as possible.

Cheers,