The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Creative lens flare warning

Will

I thought it would be fun to try some creative effects using lens flare. I got a nice image but burnt a patch on my sensor :(

I'm now the Icarus of the GRD2 world. I captured to close to the sun and now my photographic wings have been damaged!

You can see the dark spot in the top left of this image

Last edited:
L

Lewis

When did you buy this camera? I recently sent one back as it had a spot like that in the exact same place too....i don't recall ever taking pics into the sun either? Could be a generic problem?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I thought it would be fun to try some creative effects using lens flare. I got a nice image but burnt a patch on my sensor :(

I'm now the Icarus of the GRD2 world. I captured to close to the sun and now my photographic wings have been damaged!

You can see the dark spot in the top left of this image

Thanks for the warning Will, though I do think Lewis is probably right and that this effect doesn't result from your high-flying activities!

Tim

L

Lewis

Mine just seemed to 'develop' the spot on a night out...it's uncanny that it was in the same position also! Must be something else! I could also see it on the lcd when the camera was pointed at a white wall..

Will

Thanks for your comment Lewis, it prompted me to look through my images and I discovered that the dark area was there before I took the flare image. You were right, I just hadn't noticed it and came to the wrong conclusion. I can now send the camera back under the warrantee with a clear conscience.

C

Caer

That spot looks more like dust to me. Try taking a series of photos at different apertures - if it gets more sharply defined at smaller apertures, it's most likely dust.

Robert Campbell

That spot looks more like dust to me. Try taking a series of photos at different apertures - if it gets more sharply defined at smaller apertures, it's most likely dust.
I also think it is a dust spot. I had a major flare a year ago, with small bright spots - but no lasting damage. I don't think that you can 'burn' out part of a sensor or pixels - not the same as hot or cold ones.

Bertie

Will

Turns out you were right. I stopped down to F9.0 and it showed as an obvious large piece of dust. I tried shaking the camera a bit (not too hard though) and the spot has gone! Does that now make me qualified as a Recoh repair technician?

L

Lewis

I also thought mine was dust, but it was only 4 days old! How could dust get into it that quickly? It's a little worrying...