The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small Sensor Cameras

M

Michaela N.

Looking for a pocketable high quality small sensor point and shoot with excellent 400 iso qualities.... in Jpeg.

I am spoiled by the out of camera Jpegs from my Fuji S5 but not thrilled by it's size for one and the current restrictions on being able to use large DSLR's in public places....

I realize there will be quite an image IQ downsize in using a point and shoot, but still better than no image at all.

The LX3, G10 are to big, the GX-200 has relatively bad 400 IQ. I need some zoom say 28-80/100 or thereabouts and image stabilization for it will not be used for any sort of moving objects and will mostly be used indoors.

It doesn't need/I don't want to bother with Raw. I read the reviews but there are so many to read and most of them are quite similar. Looking for hands on experience. I have the possibility of trying some out and sending them back on the basis of a 14 day return policy for on-line purchases, but I need to pinpoint the selection down to say 2 or 3.... I would be very grateful for your replies

iiiNelson

IQ is somewhat subjective to an individual person. I would say look at some of the Fuji models(S60 and S100 I believe,) Panasonic TZ5, and Canon S1100 (or S890.) They may fit your needs. Of those I personally prefer the Fuji and Panasonic but that's for me. RAW will always be more flexible when it comes to PP and it's good to have the option rather than not in my experience (just in case.)

fordfanjpn

Looking for a pocketable high quality small sensor point and shoot with excellent 400 iso qualities.... in Jpeg.

I am spoiled by the out of camera Jpegs from my Fuji S5 but not thrilled by it's size for one and the current restrictions on being able to use large DSLR's in public places....

I realize there will be quite an image IQ downsize in using a point and shoot, but still better than no image at all.

The LX3, G10 are to big, the GX-200 has relatively bad 400 IQ. I need some zoom say 28-80/100 or thereabouts and image stabilization for it will not be used for any sort of moving objects and will mostly be used indoors.

It doesn't need/I don't want to bother with Raw. I read the reviews but there are so many to read and most of them are quite similar. Looking for hands on experience. I have the possibility of trying some out and sending them back on the basis of a 14 day return policy for on-line purchases, but I need to pinpoint the selection down to say 2 or 3.... I would be very grateful for your replies
If you don't need raw, then check out the Fuji F200 EXR. Or the Ricoh CX1.

Bill

Terry

I think there is more to consider here. ISO 400 might be your key metric....but you also need to consider lens speed. For instance with the LX3 you are dealing with an f2.0 lens. If you look at the G10 it is f2.8 the fuji is f3.3. This will make a big difference on how fast you get to ISO 400.

Lili

"Looking for a pocketable high quality small sensor point and shoot with excellent 400 iso qualities.... in Jpeg."

There are several on the Market

"I am spoiled by the out of camera Jpegs from my Fuji S5 but not thrilled by it's size for one and the current restrictions on being able to use large DSLR's in public places...."

Restrictions? Where is this? I had not heard of any such?

"I realize there will be quite an image IQ downsize in using a point and shoot, but still better than no image at all."

I completely agree with you on this last.

"The LX3, G10 are to big, the GX-200 has relatively bad 400 IQ. I need some zoom say 28-80/100 or thereabouts and image stabilization for it will not be used for any sort of moving objects and will mostly be used indoors."

Given the above please check out the Fuji F60, F100 and F200, all these are much smaller and the IQ is excellent on all of them at 400 and even 800

"It doesn't need/I don't want to bother with Raw. I read the reviews but there are so many to read and most of them are quite similar. Looking for hands on experience. I have the possibility of trying some out and sending them back on the basis of a 14 day return policy for on-line purchases, but I need to pinpoint the selection down to say 2 or 3.... I would be very grateful for your replies"

The F60fd, while a tad shy at the wide end, is tiny, razor sharp, has quite decent hi ISO performance and is above all; affordable.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I had Lili's numerous photos in mind once Michaela said she (or he possibly) wanted a good camera great for or at least optimized for jpeg.

M

Michaela N.

Thanks all...

as for restrictions I mean that shooting DSLR's in Musea and such guards will come racing up to you and tell you to stop taking pictures and if you'll please deposit the camera at the reception whereas others just "point and shoot" themselves into oblivion if they want, same goes for shops, exhibitions, restaurant etc.

I guess I will check out the fuji 200 but it isn't availible in Germany yet, the 100 seems like a good deal, pricewise, I would like to check them out side by side to see if the differences are worth the extra money.

and possibly she is a he ... :)

Michael is my first name, and A my surname, I guess I forgot the space.... but "I'm a man!"

Thanks all for replying, I will continue my quest...

I also like Fuji for what the company stands for, I#v always used their films, I use their DSLR and am utterly pleased with all.... this doesn't mean that if there is something better I won't go for that.

The Ricoh CX is hard to find here, but if the IQ is anywhere similar to the GX200 it will be wasted on me. I know magnificent images have been shown on this site, but the "art" of these images is not my style and seldomly venture into B&W. If altering I prefer to go for the Kodachrome look or else the polaroid style.

Lili

"Thanks all...

as for restrictions I mean that shooting DSLR's in Musea and such guards will come racing up to you and tell you to stop taking pictures and if you'll please deposit the camera at the reception whereas others just "point and shoot" themselves into oblivion if they want, same goes for shops, exhibitions, restaurant etc."

The same can happen here, although the law is on the photographers side

"I guess I will check out the fuji 200 but it isn't availible in Germany yet, the 100 seems like a good deal, pricewise, I would like to check them out side by side to see if the differences are worth the extra money."

The F100fd does not have all the manual options of the F100fd but it is a very competent camera and, as you say, the prices are attractive! I would not hesitate to get one!

"I also like Fuji for what the company stands for, I#v always used their films, I use their DSLR and am utterly pleased with all.... this doesn't mean that if there is something better I won't go for that."

I very much like the Fuji palette/sensors, all their cameras I have had have been excelllent

M

Michaela N.

Lili, you being a F100 user, would you wait for the 200?

The 100 cost 214€ and the 200 would be 294€ upon introduction, so a difference of 80€ (although this difference is not all that important)

Lili

Lili, you being a F100 user, would you wait for the 200?

The 100 cost 214€ and the 200 would be 294€ upon introduction, so a difference of 80€ (although this difference is not all that important)
Michael, I use the F60fd, not the F100 or F200
Yet
I am very tempted by both
Given the prices right now and the samples I have seen, I would give the F100 the nod so to speak
When the F200exr comes down in price that will change
I would use the F100/200 just like I use my F60; on "M" which is program mode where one can adjust ISO and other image parameters such as white balance and all that.
I use mine on "M" with ISO set to AUTO800 (auto ISO peaking out at ISO 800)
The F60 metering has proven good enough that I seldom if ever need to resort to exp comp ;)

Addendum; all these cameras are superbly capable compacts; I would suggest the advise that I cannot seem to follow all the time; Pick One, Buy It and shoot more and worry about what's best and brightest and newest less :)

Last edited:
M

Michaela N.

Yeah Lily you're right, anyone can drive themselves crazy over new features, new cam's, best performance ... I realized that reading your post.

kweide

I will not recommend any cam but only this to think about:

If all details and features are near equal, let your heart speak. Try the touch and feel. Put all your favourites to the desk and try them for a few shots. You will defintly take the cam which is the best suited for you...

If you dont like and/or love your cam you will always leave it at home.....
Dont decide with the head but with the heart instead !
That is indeed the reason why i still own a Ricoh GRD beside my E-3 and D-LUX4. Some shots here in the forum.

Have fun... that is all about
Klaus

pollobarca

Michael A,

A good way to choose a camea is to go on flickr and search for photos taken with the camera. Doing this I chose the Ricoh GX100.
BTW not all Ricoh users take Arty photos- look at mine! Lucky snapshots and work
pictures.
The main objection to Ricoh is noise. But going through flickr and looking at what people put up the differences in practice are not important. Its the pleasure the pictures give which matters.
As regards useabilty I think the Ricoh is top in the league for this. Look at things like
IS formats ( 1:1 raw for the gx200) level sensors etc .
Here are some work photos taken with the GX100.
The big truck was indoors at Iso 400 using the GX100 and zoom , the GX200 would do a better job.

How things come out work wise:
http://www.nsc-cargo.com/demo/

all the best

paul
all the best

Lili

Speaking of shooting pics of big vehicles with small cameras...

55mph, F60fd ISO 800 1/20 sec f2.8 35mm-e (8mm true)