The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on Sigma AML-1. Worth buying?

agoglanian

I've been intrigued by the portrait quality of the AML-1. I'm well aware of the fact this is not a macro lens (20cm is far from macro ;)) But having a nice sharp close-up lens would be a welcome addition in my opinion.

I'm curious if anyone has used it and what are your thoughts on it?

fordfanjpn

I've been intrigued by the portrait quality of the AML-1. I'm well aware of the fact this is not a macro lens (20cm is far from macro ;)) But having a nice sharp close-up lens would be a welcome addition in my opinion.

I'm curious if anyone has used it and what are your thoughts on it?
I do have the AML-1, but for more versatility, I bought a 46 to 52mm adapter and a set of 52mm close-up lenses (I think they're Hoya). I don't have them in front of my right now, but I think I got +1, +2, +3, and +5. You can use them all at the same time if you want, or mix them up. It's a lot of fun, and the results can be quite spectacular.

Bill

agoglanian

I'm giving it a run anyways. I really liked the OOF areas, it looked very pleasing, much like my 50mm f/1.2L

But I will keep an eye out for some other closeup filters (I may even have some laying around at home! Haha.) Thanks for the tip!

DavidE

I've used the AML-1 in combination with Tiffen +4, +2, and +1 closeup lenses. The more you stack them, the narrower the focus becomes (cool for OOF effects). If you want more depth of focus, you can always mount the camera on a tripod and shoot a long exposure with the lens stopped down. Either way, as Bill mentioned, the results can be spectacular.

B

Bill Wilby

Here is a link to an article I have been working on about the DP1 and close focus lenses. There are a few mistakes but I am having a software issue and can't correct them. I am having trouble with the link, you can check my site and look under articles. Thanks Bill