The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some useful 'customisation tips' for the GRD 2

L

Lewis

Here are a few snaps of my new Ricoh GRD 2. I have had a bit of inspiration from the guys on the Leica forum, and disguised it slightly with some black tape. Mainly because I aim to use it as in London for street photo's, and I have already had some unwanted attention on the tube while trying to take some shots. The front piece of tape is purely to diguise the 'Ricoh GRD' logo-I actually think it looks cooler in black, and I also stuck a tiny piece over the power button as there is a very bright green LED which draws attention to the camera when it is on also! Last but not least is the LCD protector (I read in another thread people were getting bugged by finger prints on the screen-me too!!) So I bought a 'DICAIN' on ebay which came from sweden (recommended by people on the Ricoh Forum-thanks). It's 0.5mm thick hard plastic and is an excellent buy to protect the camera whilst in the pocket-only £16 too Anyway here 'she' is!! :D

P

Player

Great ideas!

I like the tape on the front and on the power button. I have tape on my Nikons, but it never occurred to me for the GRD, which, when you think about it, makes even more sense considering how you use a camera like the GRD. Thanks.

L

Lewis

No problems dude! Don't thank me anyway, I merely adapted the idea's already created by the Leica guys..
I guess the ultimate tool would be an invisible camera-then you could avoid anyone confronting you for taking their pic!

P

Player

Indeed! But using a little electrical tape puts you one step closer to being "invisible." Cool!

D

divory

Lewis, I like the idea of the Dicain protector - it seems impossible to keep the glass clean. What model of the Dicain did you get?

Thanks

L

Lewis

Divory-it is a great piece of kit. It's the 3" universal one. Do an ebay search and you'll find it. It's perfect for this camera as I like to keep it in my pocket out of the case for quick shots, and this keeps the screen protected nicely. :)

D

divory

Lewis, thanks. I now have the Dicain cover and it does seem to fingerprint far less. The decoration on the RG II is restrained enough, but I do think it is improved if the camera was all black. I now have discreet black tape in strategic places, so mine is now a "stealth model". Probably still shows up on radar!

Maggie O

Hummmm....an upgrade promising a more robust LCD and a stealthier presence?

I smell litigation!!! :bugeyes::bugeyes::bugeyes::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

L

Lewis

Lewis, thanks. I now have the Dicain cover and it does seem to fingerprint far less. The decoration on the RG II is restrained enough, but I do think it is improved if the camera was all black. I now have discreet black tape in strategic places, so mine is now a "stealth model". Probably still shows up on radar!
Ha ha!:D Mine is more stealth now-i've added a bit more to it. I have ahabit of customising things you see (you should see my car) I'd like if the whole entire camera was black:cool: