The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dp2 on amazon

B

Bill Wilby

They will only ship within the US, so I guess I won't be able to preorder. :(

Bill
Bill, I was one of the first to have the DP1 in stock in North America this time last year. I am hoping for the same with the Dp2. I will also ship to anywhere the Canadian or U.S. post will delivery. At this time I do not have a cost or a date from the Canadian distributor for Sigma. Bill Wilby

pentacon6

What can we expected from this little machine? It is just using the same sensor from DP1 with a "wider" standard lens without zoom and a larger aperture. Frankly, when I google around all the detail test of Sigma's camera using Foveon X3 including SD14 and DP1, what I can say is they are technically smart and the King of "4.6 megapixel". However, the most disappointing thing is the interpolated 14.6MP image just almost equal to the image quality of G7 / LX3 (even a little bit lower).

Will the "True II" image processor help DP2? Well, it is just like the case of Fuji F200EXR, new CCD with 12MP but not a much better sharpness comparing with the old generation E550 in RAW mode with 12MP TIFF output. The only appreciating thing is HDR and noise reduction help a lot in the critical light circumstance. I even think that F200EXR is also using the same technique of blowing up the resolution with a 1/1.6" sensor.

So, what the hell is Sigma thinking? If she is smart enough, she should develop a hybrid body as Panasonic G1 in advance but not to stick on this prosumer or 1.7X crop factor DSLR. I think it is not too late before Samsung NX launch to the market. on the other hand, a higher resolution CCD should be developed in the near future. US$650 can get a full kit of Panasonic G1 or Olympus E520 already. The simple conclusion is DP2 is a "technically smart and marketing positioning fool" product. Why bother to pay a fake resolution camera for this value?

Sorry of being rude. But I think what I said is true. A waste of resource to develop something dump is guilty to the earth. You may find SD14 is now just as low as $350 for a "hightech" body. What a waste! :thumbdown:

smokysun

love it. wonderful tantrum! it reminds me of techies rage at the leica digilux 2. they hated it. but photographers loved using it and got many wonderful images.

i think this is the same with the dp1. and as for the dp2, the history of cameras is one mostly of fixed lenses, with a camera body for each lens. nothing new in this.

hmm, i shot for a whole year with the leica d-lux 2 (800 smackers) aka lx1, and the lx3 seems little better. while the dp1 files pretty incredible by comparison. and i like the old-fashioned aspects of the dp1.

and yes, i doubt fuji ever improved on the f30/31, s6000. nice for us cause now they're cheap.

actually, i've a bunch of sigma lenses for canon, all sharp and with a special quality of their own.

nothing wrong with a little heat.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. dp1 a damn sight smaller than even the smallest dslr's and less obtrusive. i get a lot of interest from photographers. the design unique. true, i've added the special grip and the voigtlander brightline vf. they improve the basic lines.

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

It always "amuses" me to see people join a forum for the sole purpose of denigrating a camera they clearly don't own and have probably never even used. But as Wayne said, nothing wrong with a little heat. In the meantime, those of us who know better will be out enjoying our "inferior" DP1's. ;)

Bill

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Hey devil dude......I'd love to have you in my class......

There's to many photographers around here that even those that don't use the DP1 at least respect the images from it....and those that use it....myself included...

later dude......

iiiNelson

Hey devil dude......I'd love to have you in my class......

There's to many photographers around here that even those that don't use the DP1 at least respect the images from it....and those that use it....myself included...

later dude......
My thoughts exactly.

I don't use a DP1 and never plan to in the foreseeable future (mostly due to the limited nature of the lens, processing speed, and the high price I'm not willing to pay for such a specialized camera.) The IQ is arguably the best to date from a compact class camera. The only thing that challenges it in IQ is the LX3/D-Lux 4, the GX/GRD for grayscale images and the G10 at lower ISO.

otumay

My thoughts exactly.

I don't use a DP1 and never plan to in the foreseeable future (mostly due to the limited nature of the lens, processing speed, and the high price I'm not willing to pay for such a specialized camera.) The IQ is arguably the best to date from a compact class camera. The only thing that challenges it in IQ is the LX3/D-Lux 4, the GX/GRD for grayscale images and the G10 at lower ISO.
Agree with you completely. Been using a DP1 for over a week and after comparing it to its elder brother, SD14 have decided not to buy it. I admire its wonderful results I see in this forum, though ;)
Osman

T

totallynatural

Agree with you completely. Been using a DP1 for over a week and after comparing it to its elder brother, SD14 have decided not to buy it. I admire its wonderful results I see in this forum, though ;)
Osman
I agree too, I've not been fortunate enough to use a DP1 however from reading forums, viewing pics on pbase etc I think the picture quality from it is superb, especially due to the dof effects due to the larger sensor.

I am still not 100% sure what the earlier poster pentacon was implying in his/her message denigrating the DP1/DP2 as it seemed quite confused.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well, I beg to differ about the LX3 or the Leica.
There is no comparision...none at all.....
Drop ot cause it won't fly here or anywhere else....

Lili

Wow, for a bit there I was having a DPReview forum flashback
You know where they attack whatever camera the forum is about.....
The DP1 has awesome IQ, otherwise, for me at least, it is insufficiently differentiated from my GRD

Last edited:

smokysun

hi lili,
yes, i remember those days. much more pleasant here, except when we get someone wandering through who's whole aim seems to be to stir up controversy.
for any craftsperson their tool very important, ie. it must be a pleasure to use. sometimes it's a great relief to use a dslr and an expensive fast lens. professional level results more guaranteed. yet to get great results from a small camera (holga, pinhole) very satisfying in itself. for many of us i suspect the pleasure of using a particular tool outweighs the need for spectacular results.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i had great fun with my first canon s230 elf, 3mp. www.pbase.com/wwp/summer_2003

Last edited:

Lili

hi lili,
yes, i remember those days. much more pleasant here, except when we get someone wandering through who's whole aim seems to be to stir up controversy.
for any craftsperson their tool very important, ie. it must be a pleasure to use. sometimes it's a great relief to use a dslr and an expensive fast lens. professional level results more guaranteed. yet to get great results from a small camera (holga, pinhole) very satisfying in itself. for many of us i suspect the pleasure of using a particular tool outweighs the need for spectacular results.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i had great fun with my first canon s230 elf, 3mp. www.pbase.com/wwp/summer_2003
Wayne, I whole heartedly agee. For me the GRD is nigh perfect, hence my reluctance on the other-wise lovely Sigma First Gen.
The DP-2 however IS sufficiently different that it tempts me. That 42mm efl is intruiging, rather like a digi-Canon QL1.7.....

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Lili, When I get the DP2, if you like I will send you
my DP1 for a tryout...It will take 2 weeks of testing and
finding my vision with the 2...
Don

Lili

Lili, When I get the DP2, if you like I will send you
my DP1 for a tryout...It will take 2 weeks of testing and
finding my vision with the 2...
Don
Whoa, Don, that is a very kind offer Sir! I will consider it, ok?
BTW I still owe you and Helen Prints, working nights as I do time slips by quickly....

B

Blaugrana

Rather an odd post from Pentacon, but the DP2 is also available (for pre-order) on Adorama, as is the viewfinder.