The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP2 delivery

fordfanjpn

I talked to one of the Sigma reps at the Tokyo PIE show today. When I first asked him about a delivery date for the DP2, he told me he was not able to say. However, when I told him that B&H was saying May delivery on their website, he said that was pretty close. After we talked a bit, I pushed him a little more, and he finally told me that, first of all, it will ship first here in Japan (good news for me), and what they're trying to do is ship it before Golden Week here. Golden Week begins April 29, so they're trying to get it out before then. However, he also said that they're not going to force it, so if they can't meet that deadline, then it will definitely ship in May. So there you have it, right from the horse's mouth.

As far as the camera goes, I did handle it a bit, and it definitely feels faster. Shot to shot is only a couple of seconds now, instead of seven seconds. The new menus are a lot easier to use and make setting things up much easier. I can't really say why, but the camera also seems to feel a bit sturdier, although I'm not sure that's the right word for it. It feels more finished or something. I'm definitely anxious to get my hands on one. The rep told me that one of the reasons for the delay is that they didn't like the first lens they made for it, so they made a completely new one. He said that with this camera and the DP1, the goal was to make a lens that could outperform the sensor.

Now that I've had a chance to hold the camera in my hands and mess around with it a bit, I'm even more anxious to get mine. Is there any way we can skip April and go right to May?

Bill

fordfanjpn

I forgot to mention that the last thing he said as I was leaving was that I would be very pleased with the price. I assume that means the $649 price on Amazon is right. At that price, I suspect they'll sell a few DP2's.

Bill

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Bill, confirmed the $649.00 price here today in Philly. I normally get some kinda discount off that. I also am hearing the finder will be around $150-$175.00......that seems high to me....My dealer tells me April's end or May's start.....for delivery.....

fordfanjpn

Bill, confirmed the $649.00 price here today in Philly. I normally get some kinda discount off that. I also am hearing the finder will be around $150-$175.00......that seems high to me....My dealer tells me April's end or May's start.....for delivery.....
That sounds about right. Cameraquest has the Voigtlander 40mm finder for about $129 (I think). I found a used one on fleabay so I'll be all set when the camera arrives.

Bill

B

Blaugrana

Bill,

I've been reading your and streetshooter's posts on the DP1 and the DP2. I've pre-ordered the DP2 through Adorama (USA) and was crestfallen to hear it was being pushed back (though if it's to improve the lens or camera as a whole, it's for the best).

Anyway, I've also picked up the same Voigtlander viewfinder you have! Do you think we'll have too much of a problem, though, with it having a 40mm FOV as compared to the camera's 41mm? Thanks for any thoughts on that!

I'm baffled by the comments about the lens, though. The shots taken with it have elicited nothing but praise on the DPReview forum and others. Wonder what the problem was . . . ?

Dan

That sounds about right. Cameraquest has the Voigtlander 40mm finder for about $129 (I think). I found a used one on fleabay so I'll be all set when the camera arrives.

Bill

fordfanjpn

Bill,

I've been reading your and streetshooter's posts on the DP1 and the DP2. I've pre-ordered the DP2 through Adorama (USA) and was crestfallen to hear it was being pushed back (though if it's to improve the lens or camera as a whole, it's for the best).

Anyway, I've also picked up the same Voigtlander viewfinder you have! Do you think we'll have too much of a problem, though, with it having a 40mm FOV as compared to the camera's 41mm? Thanks for any thoughts on that!

I'm baffled by the comments about the lens, though. The shots taken with it have elicited nothing but praise on the DPReview forum and others. Wonder what the problem was . . . ?

Dan
I guess it will remain to be seen how well the 40mm Voigtlander finder matches the camera. I find the framelines in the 28mm finder to be a bit tight on the DP1, but I learned to adjust fairly quickly, so it's not a problem. Hopefully the 40mm finder will be close enough on the DP2 to be usable.

The shots you are referring to were almost certainly taken with the "new" lens. I think the only reason the Sigma guy mentioned the fact that they scrapped the original lens and redid it was to show that they were not going to cut any corners to get the camera right before releasing it to us. Can't argue with that philosophy. I'm not pleased with the delay either, but I'd rather have it right than have it soon.

Bill