The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GW1 - What are your thoughts?

L

Lewis

I took delivery of the GH1 and GW1 today. Managed to scoop one up on ebay for a good price. Its very well constructed and seems nice and solid on the camera. It's a little fiddly having to pry off the rubber hood whenever you wish to replace the lens cap, but I can live with that. As always, a few photo's. The third shot is a little OOF but you get the idea of how wide it is. Post your own examples here as well, as i'd like to see what other people have created with theirs.

Thanks,

Lewis

Lili

I love mine and use it quite a bit, when sheer portability does not matter.

I HATE the hood, it is very hard to install straight and causes vignetting if not straight.
Fortunately the GW-1 seems little prone to flare.

Even with direct sunlight on lens, there are only a few artifacts.

L

Lewis

Those are cool shots. Mine seem blurry in comparison? What sort of focusing do you use etc? :)

Lili

Those are cool shots. Mine seem blurry in comparison? What sort of focusing do you use etc? :)
Lewis, thank you :)
Hmmm, I use Multi-Spot, depressing half-way to achieve lock.
Mine were in brilliant morning light, at 1/143 and f4.5 and 1/310 at f5 respectively. ISO 64.
Indoors, like your shots were likely at larger apertures and longer exposures.
Much hard to get sharp then.
Nice candids tho.
Dang thats a big bottle of soy sauce :)

L

Lewis

Ok thanks! Lol @ the soy sauce-my Dad can't get enough of the stuff!

V

VladimirV

The 21mm lens is indeed very well constructed and is a solid fit with the camera. I do not use the rubber hood as I do not see the point and it would make it bigger.

Here are a few pictures:

Will

Just a test shot poking the camera out the door to my garden. I don't like the lens hood either.

L

LotC

I use the GW-1 as standard. It is one of the reasons I bought the GR-DII, the angle of view is similar to the 43mm lens I use for more serious work on 6x7 medium format.

From the outset, I have been very pleased with the combination. I have not been able to see any detrimental effect on image quality between using the GW-1 and not using it.

The rubber hood is badly designed in that you have to fiddle with it to push the lenscap on. I just push it back down the GH-1. It's probably more convenient not to bother with the hood, but I dislike shooting any camera without an adequate hood on the lens so I'm resigned to fiddling unless some better solution comes along.

L

Lewis

I'm the same! I push it down the GH1 for now-it's a pain though but never mind... Unless you can get hold of a smaller 'pop on' lens cap you're stuck.

J

jsb

To: Lili, VladimirV, and Will... Can you tell us more about these pics you posted here? JPEG or RAW, and if possible any EXIF information? That would be great! Thank much, in advance...

jon

Lili

To: Lili, VladimirV, and Will... Can you tell us more about these pics you posted here? JPEG or RAW, and if possible any EXIF information? That would be great! Thank much, in advance...

jon
JSB,
Mine were JPEGS, all modifications done iin Camera, no PP'ing.
I think I gave the exposures, they were both -7/10ev as well, moderate sharpness, highest color saturation.

V

veriwide

I think that the GW-1 is an absolute steal! Where else can you pick up such a high quality wide angle lens for so little money? I also think it is a brilliant design in how well it performs with hardly any barrel distortion.

As for the lens hood.. well, when have you owned a 21mm lens with a smaller hood? It is a wee bit finicky to put on and off, but well worth the effort. A built in retractable lens hood would be really marvelous, but... so be it. I do believe that the hood will help when shooting into the sun and otherwise will also give increased contrast and a small bit of protection for the lens and so I always use it.

Here it is in action shooting right into the sun !

Cheers

Veriwide

Lili

I am absolutely loving the photos in this thread!

The GR-D II G.A.S. is back. :(
The Ricoh Devil is at your shoulder, Maggie :angel:

heh

Thank you for the compliments!

It is gorgeous here, sadly i'm so not going out yet to shoot, still sick :(

Sunday, yessss Sunday. We'll take The Preciouss out Sunday....:D

L

LotC

Small & lightweight even with the GW-1. A backpackers dream!

Lose Hill in the Peak District:

S

Sun

Ya I like what I'm seeing.. the wide glass definitely gives way to lots of creativity.
Will.. that bench shot has a v. interesting 3D Pop effect..
Vlad.. where did you take that last shot.. beautiful location!

Keep 'em coming.. :)

Will

Yea, I like that 3d effect. I think it was the bright winter sun on the slightly orange table making it stand out against the grass. Maybe something to do with lens as well since it doesn't happen so much on a 28mm shot I took at the same time.

JSB mine was a jpg, shutter 270, ap f/5.6 ISO 80 and with a bit of levels in CS2 to bring out the detail in the dark shadows and to stop the fine branches burning out into the sky.

V

VladimirV

My pictures are all GRD jpgs and aside from the last window pic straight out of the camera. The last image has slight PP done to it but more to recover some highlights as I did not want to use RAW than anything else. All done in manual mode with spot focus and aperture at around f4-f5.6 with shutterspeed at around 1/25th-1/100th.

The last window shot was taken in the Church of St. Dunstan's-in-the-East, near the Tower of London. I really like the partly destroyed churches in the City as they have a calmer and warmer feel to them than normal churches, more like a Budhist temple or shrine.

If you look at my blog you can see more pictures with the wideangle lens.

Lili

My pictures are all GRD jpgs and aside from the last window pic straight out of the camera. The last image has slight PP done to it but more to recover some highlights as I did not want to use RAW than anything else. All done in manual mode with spot focus and aperture at around f4-f5.6 with shutterspeed at around 1/25th-1/100th.

The last window shot was taken in the Church of St. Dunstan's-in-the-East, near the Tower of London. I really like the partly destroyed churches in the City as they have a calmer and warmer feel to them than normal churches, more like a Budhist temple or shrine.

If you look at my blog you can see more pictures with the wideangle lens.
And that Church shot is my favorite. It is very serene :angel:

V

VladimirV

Thanks Lili, this is another shot of it without the 21mm adapter.