The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Takes to the Air

DavidE

Here's the view from seat 30A coming back from PMA. The DP1 is small enough to easily fit in my briefcase. I pack the camera in a Kata C-54 padded pouch, so I don't have to worry about it being crushed.

ISO 100, f/8, 1/250 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

Here are two more. Different planes, same camera.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/125 second

ISO 100, f/8, 1/320 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Lili

David, all of them are excellent but the first one is superb, no crud on the window, not even any reflections!!!! Did you use a Polarizer by any chance?

Will

That first one really is good!

I often use polarized sunglasses when taking plane window shots which helps but puts a tint on the image.

DavidE

Thanks, Lili, HiredArm, and Will.

I didn't use a polarized filter, though I might try that. The third one was on a flight from Friday, and I remember the window had two panes of glass (or plastic?) that were scratched. Other factors might be the relative level of pollution and the angle of light (early morning and late afternoon seem best for 3-D-like shadows). For whatever reason (probably all of the above), the resulting files differed in the amount of detail and contrast I could pull from them.

To illustrate how much post production can draw from an image that has the right elements, here is a straight RAW-to-JPG transfer of that first image. Then that same image after going through SPP. Then that same image after more image enhancements within Lightroom. I tried to do the same with the other two shots but wasn't able to do as much with them.

This might also be of interest. It's a heavily processed window shot taken with another camera (a Leica M8.2). I'm not sure if the gray blobs are from the window or the camera sensor. More of a work-in-progress. The unprocessed version follows it.

DavidE

Here's the view from seat 30A heading out to Los Angeles. I like to sit near the back so I can be sure to get my bag on board.

ISO 100, f/8, 1/250 second

HansenTsang

This is how my DP1 takes to the air.;-) The picture actually showed my Nikon D60 with a 20 mm lens. The aerial was taken with the DP1.

Last edited: