The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RICOH GR 1 VS. GX-100 VS. GR 2

flipflop

HELLO!,

I am new and am an avid film shooter. I am thinking of the Ricoh GR-1 due to price and the excellent results and portability. I would love to have the GR-2 but the extra cash keeps me away from taking the plunge at the moment.

The GX-100 has caught my eye would that be a better buy than the GR-1.

Is the GR-1 still a good camera.

What would you buy?

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

M

mourges

I got my mother to buy a GX100 when she was looking for a new camera - based on my experience with the GRD. It is a lovely camera - lens distorts a bit more than the GRD at the widest, but will it make a difference? The step zoom function works nicely, so you get a mutilple focal length camera, with good manual controls.

I went for the GRD though, due to the lens quality and that I liked the wide angle - also it makes a nice pocketable camera - the GX is a bit larger.

I would like to upgrade to the GRD2, but will wait until an overseas trip at the end of the year to do it.

P

Palais desSports

Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

Set Ricoh GR + GV-1 with frames 21/28mm
SET € 349,-- :thumbup:

the GR 2 is a little bit faster (only RAW) and has 10 MP instead of 8 MP.

In Germany the Price is GRII 489,- + GV-1 149,-

The difference is 289,- for getting 2 MP more.

You will find it www.monochrom.com

Greetings from Germany

Claus

T

The End Of Print

Colin,
I recently went through the same dilema.

Coming from using a Lomo LC-A, i saw the fixed lens of the GRD as being something very similar, and being able to control everything like an SLR moreso than other compact small sensor cameras it was very enticing.

The GRD1 gives an almost "film grain" type noise rather than a pixel compression. This is what makes this camera unique.
The GRD2 seems to use a more pixelated noise so a lot of original GRD1 purists dont like the new version and havent upgraded.

The GX100 caught my eye for having a few more features than the GRD1, features almost like the GRD2 but with a cheaper price tag.
Although i dont use a zoom normally for my shots with my LC-A, I saw it as maybe being a feature i might use. also being able to shoot 1:1 and faster RAW write-times.

So after asking a lot of peoples opinions - this isnt much help as most love either one or the other - and lots of pixelpeeping on flickr.com: looking at the quality of peoples pics, and weighing up all three cameras i decided to go for the GX100.

And i have to say im definitely NOT dissapointed.
Its fractionaly bigger than the GRD. It has an almost "inbetween" of the "noise" from the GRD and the GRD2.

A lot of people will go on about the lens quality of the GRD and the GX100 but to be honest, i've never been able to see the difference when pixelpeeping and im more than happy with the quality.

You can read as much as you like on the camera and people will rip into the fine details of these cameras pointing out each's pro's and con's. Its just down to what you'd prefer, what things you need in a camera.
It's not the camera that makes good photos - its the person who takes the shots.

T

The End Of Print

Colin
I price-compared everywhere in the UK for the Ricoh's and found Jessops to be the best prices on the cameras themselves.

They also offer a 3 years no quibbles warranty so even if you drop the camera theyl replace it with a new one. I went for jessops because of this reason PLUS its an actual shop you can go into to argue your case should anything go wrong rather than dealing with a faceless online shop.

I got the GX100 plus the Warranty for £307, then i used the £25 off voucher code you can find HERE which took it down to £282. bargain!!!

V

VladimirV

I have the GRD I, GRD II, GX (old 5MP) and have also used the GX100 plus I own the GR1 film camera.

Here is my take on the differences between the GRD I and GRD II.

I bought the GRD II recently after using the GRD I for almost 2 years. You can find my experience on my blog in the posts from the last 3 weeks. I plan to do a more in depth review soon and post it there.

To summarize these are the main differences from the GRD I:

- RAW write time is greatly improved and worth the upgrade.

- Buttons are although glossy now better as they provide a better feel and are easier to access without looking at the camera.

- Noise is lower so the camera is quieter when starting and especially when focusing using spot or multi AF

- The jpgs are although slightly better atter the last firmware nowhere near as good as from the GRD I

- B&w jpgs especially are a lot better on the GRD I with more depth and seem more crisp

- Dynamic range is a lot better on the GRD II as are the noise levels that are improved.

- The adjust wheel was a lot better than the new adjust rocker switch

- The phase detection focus was superior when using spot AF and fullpressing the button, now I have to use snap mode for this.

- Spot AF sometimes freezes the screen when focusing and this is really annoying since it did not happen on the GRD I. Not sure why it happens and when since it does not happen all the time.

- AF is generally faster with the exceptions mentioned above.

- The my 1 and 2 settings on the dial are great and also the fact that the camera remembers ALL settings. Huge improvement for me and a big plus along with the RAW and DR improvement.

- The flash release switch is great but makes the flash a bit flimsy, still worth having it.

I will continue to use both cameras and the GRD II in RAW mode and for color work while the GRD I in jpg only mode for b&w work where the high contrast and noise in the images provides the look I'm after without the need to process.

The GRD II is vastly superior when it comes to responsiveness, operating speed and IQ when using color. The GRD I shines for the great jpg quality and for b&w work straight out of the camera. Overall a great followup with minor issues.

If I could choose for the GRD III it should have the full GRD II features but bring the adjust wheel and phase detection back plus include a GRD I b&w mode. And yes, some weather sealing!

Overall the GRD I is still one of the best cameras around and great value at the moment. There is not an immediate need to get the GRD II unless you plan on shooting a lot in RAW.

The GX100 is a very good compromise and delivers great IQ although I find that both GRDs have a slight edge here. Where the GX100 shines is the 24mm lens and zoom that make it more versatile. So for me I'd still buy the GRD I anytime and if mine should break I'd buy it again although I have the GRD II. The GX100 is a great camera but for me the GRDs are more refined. If you can live with a 28mm lens and maybe use adapters for 21mm and 40mm the GRDs are better but if you want a versatile camera the GX100 is hard to beat.

T

Tony_Spencer

The GX100 is a very good compromise and delivers great IQ although I find that both GRDs have a slight edge here. Where the GX100 shines is the 24mm lens and zoom that make it more versatile. So for me I'd still buy the GRD I anytime and if mine should break I'd buy it again although I have the GRD II. The GX100 is a great camera but for me the GRDs are more refined. If you can live with a 28mm lens and maybe use adapters for 21mm and 40mm the GRDs are better but if you want a versatile camera the GX100 is hard to beat.
Very thoughtful comparison. I'm planning to upgrade to the GRD II after selling my GRD I (albeit with mixed feelings because I really liked it).

There's yet more food for thought.

After absorbing way too much info about all these cameras, I spoke to someone at popflash recently who alluded to the possibility of a new GX model (likely the 200) set to come out this Fall. He seemed to think it would have many upgrades similar to the GRD transition.

V

VladimirV

Yes, there are rumors that Ricoh will release the successor for the GX100 at Photokina in September. My guess is that it will incorporate a lot of improvements from the GRD II without having everything or making the GRD II redundant.

T

Tony_Spencer

Yes, there are rumors that Ricoh will release the successor for the GX100 at Photokina in September. My guess is that it will incorporate a lot of improvements from the GRD II without having everything or making the GRD II redundant.
Good to know. I muchly appreciate yr synopsis and blog of all the Ricohs and actually it is steering me back towards the GR I -- since the RAW write time is not critical for me and the value is fantastic. But this time around I'll pick up the 40mm lens and the matching Voigtlander VF to get more flexibility. BTW: Any reco's on filters?

Last edited:

helenhill

Hi Flipflop /Colin

Having had the Grd
and upgraded to the GRD2

Heres my thoughts.......
GRD razor edge sharp /JPEGS need very little PP if at all /RAW toooo slow /beautiful grit & grain

GRD2 tres sharp ....though not razor edge / RAW FAST & True to overall colors /Jpegs colors pop abit too much /ADJ lever /Shooting with Custom Settings MY1 MY2

Do LOVE my GRD2 but Miss my GRD:scry:(razor edge crispness)
Cheers! Helen:D