The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GAS attack imminent... please help!

simonclivehughes

In an effort to stave off a GAS attack (or at least justify it), I need your feedback!

I currently have a Leica D-LUX 2 which I use with a CV 28/35 mini-finder (you can actually see a picture of it in Sean's review of the D-LUX 2) but I have been increasingly become enamored with the both the GRII and the D-LUX 3, especially with the higher ISO performance. I had an original GR which I enjoyed (other than the RAW timing) but sold it to help my M8 cravings.

I love what the D-LUX 2 gives me shooting RAW and I typically process to B&W. I tend to shoot mostly at 28mm and at ISO 80 almost exclusively to get the best noise performance, and if I have to go higher, I'll use EV adjustment rather than cranking ISO and then process accordingly. I do, however, want to be able to shoot at ISOs up to 800 and 1600 if possible, hence my lust for the other cameras.

My question to you is do you think the step from the DL2 to the DL3 is worthwhile from a noise performance perspective, or would the GRII provide a substantial leap forward toward my goal? Or, should I just keep using the DL2 and forget the temptation?

I have studied Sean's reviews and viewed the pertinent threads here but it's hard to get an comparative opinion back to the earlier DL2. What say you?

helenhill

Lovely site Simon
In particular I loved your 'Black & White' series
I have the Dlux 3 which I adore/ I'm a 16:9 junkie
and just sold my GR d1 and am awaiting the GR d 2 /from Tony@POPFLASH
My vote is for the RICOH....... All the Best Helen

Terry

I don't think you will see that much difference between a d-lux2 and d-lux3. If you make that upgrade you will probably always be thinking "I wonder how different the GRD II would be". I would get the Ricoh to try a different platform.

simonclivehughes

Ladies,

Thanks for your replies (and the website kudos, Helen). I must admit I'm leaning heavily toward the GRDII. I too love the 16:9 that the D LUX 2 gives me and I'll not sell it (hardly worth what I might get, unfortunately). Now I need to ponder which kit I might order, just the GR, or with the accessory lenses and VFs. Ah, decisions, decisions!

simonclivehughes

BTW, as a postscript, I find it genuinely refreshing that the comments so far have come from women. The GetDPI forums have a great representation of talent and diversity!

simonclivehughes

One quick question: is the battery for the GRII the same as the one used in the original GR (and also the same as the D-LUX 2)?

V

VladimirV

The battery is the same and as the others said I would also recommend the GRD2 as it will be different to what you already have and complement your camera rather than replace it.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Simon,

If it were me, and I was going to work primarily at 28 mm, it would be the GR2. In fact, its the first small sensor camera I've borrowed for a long-term test.

Cheers,

Sean

Terry

Hi Simon,

If it were me, and I was going to work primarily at 28 mm, it would be the GR2. In fact, its the first small sensor camera I've borrowed for a long-term test.

Cheers,

Sean
Only to be returned when the GR3 comes out and the test model arrives :D

cam

Ladies,

Thanks for your replies (and the website kudos, Helen). I must admit I'm leaning heavily toward the GRDII. I too love the 16:9 that the D LUX 2 gives me and I'll not sell it (hardly worth what I might get, unfortunately). Now I need to ponder which kit I might order, just the GR, or with the accessory lenses and VFs. Ah, decisions, decisions!
both the accessory lens are gorgeous (most of us end up getting both), but it really isn't necessary to buy them straight off unless you get a much better deal buying a "package." get used to the camera naked at first...

but i do recommend buying the GV-2 mini-finder and the excellent leather case that fits camera and VF. i also personally like the neck-strap Ricoh sells for it, even using it just as a more comfortable hand strap and stabilization device.

as for the battery, it does last an awesomely long time on the GRDII, but it's nice to always carry an extra (that you already have). also remember that in a pinch, you can always use regular old batteries.

simonclivehughes

As an update, I ordered the GRDII from Tony this morning, along with the hood and 40mm lens and CV VF. I could kick myself for selling my original GRD and the 21mm lens etc! It will be good getting to know the camera again and sussing out all the differences. Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Just got my GRDII from Tony. I'd forgotten how nice this little beast feels in the hand, probably one of the best made small cameras available. My initial impressions are that I preferred the original ADJ wheel rather than the present rocker switch, but I LOVE the MY1 and MY2 setting ability which was sorely lacking on the GRDI.

I had a moment of anxiety when I tested it out after setting it up. Zooming in on the LCD, all my shots looked out of focus, even trying different focus schemes. I finally realized that it was because I had the display jpeg set for lowest quality... idiot! I guess after I see some images (I shoot RAW exclusively) to be convinced of the sharpness, I'll set it back to 640 again but I really wish we could save RAW only.

Cheers,

scott kirkpatrick

I had the same unhappy experience when i set the jpegs minimal in size to save storage -- they make for a lousy preview. So they are back at maximum size and I leave them on the card while I download the dng files.

I read somewhere (dpreview?) that the ADJ wheel had to be changed to be a rocker switch because Sony holds a patent on a wheel with push capability for this application. Since there are mice with wheel and pushdown capability, this must a fairly narrow patent if the story is true. Anyway, that's one theory. I also prefer the way the GR-D does it.

scott