The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

examples Sigma DP1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asabet

There are more examples here: www.letsgodigital.org/en/18382/las-vegas-photos/

It seems pretty clear that the DP1 will be stiff competition for the GRDII. The size is very similar. Closer than I had guessed it would be. Low ISO quality from the DP1 is pretty amazing. Unfortunately the lens is 1 1/2 stops slower and the high ISO performance not very impressive. None of this matters to me very much as the 28mm (equivalent) focal length is too wide to be my everyday carry. A slightly larger follow-up model with a 35 or 40mm (equivalent) field of view and a slightly faster lens would make me very happy.

Will

I'm quite impressed with these latest samples. Looks very promising to me and I'm now really looking forward to seeing a proper review. I would probably buy one based on these images without reading a review anyway :/

The Las Vegas art picture is incredibly sharp, clean and undistorted.

Maggie O

I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm going to pay $700-800 for what is basically an f4, ISO800, 4MP camera.

M

Mitch Alland

...and which doesn't produce enough "grain"! :) Though I must say that, as a grit-meister, I haven't been that interested in it.

Seriously, though, let's see what this camera is really like before reaching any conclusions. I'm sure that Sean's review will allow anyone to make a decision of whether this camera is for her or him.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

S

Sean_Reid

I've been thinking that the DP1 isn't actually a small sensor camera so it should be in another area of the forums as well but it doesn't seem to be.
If you look at the thread where I introduced this forum, you'll see that I expected it to cover the DP-1, as well, if that camera was ever introduced. Its not a small sensor camera but its a compact camera and one that I think will be of interest to many people who use the GR2, etc. So let's keep the discussion of it here because this is a good, active forum.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Specifically, shortly after I asked Guy to start this forum for small sensor cameras (which he hadn't yet heard of at the time) I wrote :

"Guy was kind enough to create this forum at my request so that people who are interested in small sensor cameras (and 4/3rds as well) could have a place to discuss them that does not have any brand boundaries.

From my perspective, this is a place to talk about photography generally as well and I rather hope we go off-topic, at times, in interesting ways. If the Sigma DP1 ever arrives, it will likely end up being discussed here as well.

Maybe we should think of this as the "Get Depth of Field" forum. <G>

Cheers,

Sean"

At the time, I urged Guy and Jack to make 4/3 a separate forum but it took a little while for that to happen so 4/3 discussion was here initially.

The DP1 is definitely not a small sensor camera, and it doesn't draw like one, but one thing many of us here have in common is an interest in cameras that can be with us all the time. The DP1 seems to be that sort of camera so I think this is as good a forum as any to discuss it.

It's not a 4/3 camera either - not by sensor size and not by conforming to the 4/3 standards.

Cheers,

Sean

M

Mitch Alland

I agree with Sean that it's appropriate for the DP1 to be discussed here, as it's designed in the same spirit as small sensor cameras in the sense of being small enough that it's always with the photographer.

—Mitch/Bangkok

S

stnami

Not a mistake at all. This forum was intended to cover the DP1 as well.
Well the get the title changed from small sensor, otherwise it makes a mockery of what you classed as a small sensor, the DOF etc..remember the insistance of not using the term P&S

When other brands start producing similar cameras we will end up with a great divide sensor and result wise, untenable comparisons will be made between sensors etc. Are we going to call all of them small sensor cameras............??

Or is it all a matter of we will think about that later and change tact at convenience

spirit as small sensor cameras in the sense of being small enough that it's always with the photographer.
no it's about the drawing of the sensor

M

Mitch Alland

You're right, Imants. But in practical terms this small sensor group is a lot more active than the 4/3rds one and there is more interest here in the DP1 than in the other groups. Therefore, it seems to me it's sensible to continue to discuss it here until it's justified to move the discussions elsewhere.

—Mitch/Bangkok

S

Sean_Reid

Well the get the title changed from small sensor, otherwise it makes a mockery of what you classed as a small sensor, the DOF etc..remember the insistance of not using the term P&S

When other brands start producing similar cameras we will end up with a great divide sensor and result wise, untenable comparisons will be made between sensors etc. Are we going to call all of them small sensor cameras............??

Or is it all a matter of we will think about that later and change tact at convenience

no it's about the drawing of the sensor
Hi Imants,

No, it doesn't make a mockery of the small sensor format and I don't think its worth worrying about. People get caught up in these sorts of things unnecessarily. We know what small sensor cameras are, why they're different, etc. but this is also a good place to discuss the DP1.

If there come to be a whole new class of cameras with larger sensors and small bodies then maybe we'll worry about making a new forum, etc. I don't see that as being imminent, however, so lets just discuss the camera here and not worry about it for the time being. The DP1 isn't a 4/3 camera and it isn't a small sensor camera, etc. Its an orphan of sorts and I think it should be welcome here.

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited:
S

stnami

so a forum of convenience to some? There is a heck of a lot of people out there with no idea of the differences but have an interest........
bugger it Guy scrap me from the forum, this is crap!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sean_Reid

I think that if people want to discuss the Sigma in the "Other Cameras" forum, or here, or wherever, its cool. The very active forums here are this one and Leica M. Naturally, a lot of small sensor camera owners may be interested in the DP1 even though its a different kind of camera in some ways. It won't draw like a small sensor camera but it does fit in a pocket. Some people value the former most, some the latter, some both, etc.

I don't think discussing the Sigma takes away anything from the discussion of small sensor cameras. Again, if the Sigma really ends up needing its own forum then I'm sure Guy and Jack will look at that. But I don't think we're at a point where this is a problem.

Cheers,

Sean

jonoslack

so a forum of convenience to some? There is a heck of a lot of people out there with no idea of the differences but have an interest........
bugger it Guy scrap me from the forum, this is crap!!!!!!!!
LOL - toys and pram?:p
Stick around, we need some spice,

V

VladimirV

I don't know where the problem with a DP1 discussion here lies. While it is not a small sensor camera it is the closest real competitor to the GRD II so a lot of people will be interested in the differences between the cameras. I know I am interested in a comparisson at low ISO between the DP1 and GRD II to see how much the advantage really is between them.

For me the DP1 looks nice but not quite there whereas the GRD II is there. As good as te IQ at low ISO might be for the DP1 the GRD II will perform better in low light situations, has a great macro mode, the adapter lenses (21mm and 40mm) make it more versatile, the build (handgrip, size) and apreture and shutter speed controlls are better on the GRD II. From the looks of it the only thing the DP1 has going for it is the larger sensor and maybe the focus wheel.

Will

You realize its a fixed lens, right?
Yea, I had a brain storm late at night and for some reason thought it was 40mm equ lol. I wanted to delete my post but I left it to late.

Shame it isn't 40mm because it would help to have an excuse to own one as well as my GDR2 :/

and come on people, don't turn this great forum into another dpreview personal vendetta site.

Last edited:

7ian7

A discussion about the DP1 in context to the Ricohs, et al, actually helps clarify the parallels and differences between these formats. That's a good thing.

As a Ricoh/small sensor devotee I have to at least wonder what this thing will mean in terms of my interest in pocketable, serious cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.