The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newbee.

• Thread starter D upton-Hackett.
  • Start date
D

D upton-Hackett.

After lots of research and investigation,and becoming an OAP made the decision to return to my favourite hobby Photography.
The camera of choice within my budget is the LX3 due to arrive very soon, was influenced by this forum and the wonderful shots one can achieve with this camera. Although i envisage that my efforts will be far short of the mark but will strive to attain a decent quality of image.
If any of you who use the LX3 wishes to give me some pointers i would be very grateful. so back to the downloaded manual for more study.

Thanks for letting me join your forum, looking froward to posting With trepidation :eek::eek:

Derek.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Welcome home Derek.
The LX3 has a decent following here.
This is a very laid back group and very informed also.
See ya around.... shooter. aka Don

iiiNelson

I have the Leica version of the LX3 and I would strongly suggest investing in LR2.2 or CS4 if you don't already have a RAW converter. You can used Silkypix but most people tend to have unfavorable views towards the user-friendliness of the program. I haven't used it personally but that seems to be a common issue. You can use whatever program you want for JPEG.

As for using the camera I personally only shoot RAW. Be prepared to tone down the sharpness of the images. Sometimes the images look too inorganic to me. I would say a good tip to using this camera is to have it work for you within it's limitations. It's a very capable tool in the right hands as you can see from pictures all over the web.

D

D upton-Hackett.

Special thanks to...HiredArm for his input and to simonclivehughes for his very useful link witch i spent time reading.
During my consideration of which one to spend my cash on, the Ricoh & the sigma loved both of those only felt i needed to be more knowledgeable and confident, not wanting to make an expensive error.

As the D-lux4 was vertualy the same as LX3 but £150 dearer. picked the later.

Again thanks.

Derek.

iiiNelson

I would have gotten the LX3 myself but they were going for near the same price of the D-Lux 4 from the dealers that had them available when I was ready to buy. They are the same thing except one comes with Capture One 4, a 3 yr warranty, and has a nicer exterior. I can't tell any other differences honestly.