The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 in Norway

Rawfa

Beautiful, well treated photos. You've achieved a perfect balance on the treatment you cannot notice that the photos were treated at all (unless you're a DP1 owner :) ).

D

D upton-Hackett.

Looking at these wonderful shots gives me inspiration which i hope to replicate when my LX3 arrives (with lots of practice)

DavidE

All three are terrific shots. Warm and visually satisfying. I especially like the composition of the second and third images.

leif e

I agree to everything nice above - and; i can vouch for this; they look exactly like Norway!:D
leif e

Will

Many thanks for you nice comments everyone! Glad you liked them.

Rawfa my work flow is pretty simple. Shoot in RAW, ususally -.3 to .7 exposure. Mostly manual focus now. Process in photo pro to enhance contrast and reduce saturation a bit, often bringing out the shadows a little though I'm trying to resist too much of that lately. then export as a jpg and do some levels and sharpening in CS3

fordfanjpn

Rawfa my work flow is pretty simple. Shoot in RAW, ususally -.3 to .7 exposure. Mostly manual focus now. Process in photo pro to enhance contrast and reduce saturation a bit, often bringing out the shadows a little though I'm trying to resist too much of that lately. then export as a jpg and do some levels and sharpening in CS3
I'm a little surprised by your work flow. I generally find that jpeg's fall apart too quickly if I try to PP them in CS4, so I always export from SPP to tiff format, do all my PP-ing in CS4 on the tiff file, and only then export to jpeg as the final step. Do you find that the jpeg's hold up to your levels and sharpening adjustments in CS3? Have you compared the results to going SPP to tiff in CS3 and then converting to jpeg? Maybe the DP1 jpeg files from SPP are more robust than I give them credit for.

Bill

Lili

Excellent shots Will, the logs look as if one could reach out and touch them, then bring the scent of resin back to ones nose.

Rawfa

I'm a little surprised by your work flow. I generally find that jpeg's fall apart too quickly if I try to PP them in CS4, so I always export from SPP to tiff format, do all my PP-ing in CS4 on the tiff file, and only then export to jpeg as the final step. Do you find that the jpeg's hold up to your levels and sharpening adjustments in CS3? Have you compared the results to going SPP to tiff in CS3 and then converting to jpeg? Maybe the DP1 jpeg files from SPP are more robust than I give them credit for.

Bill
I know I'm going to get stoned to death for this one but I ALWAYS shoot jpeg with the DP1. I can say that one of the many many reasons I love the DP1 it's the way it's jpegs handle what ever I throw at them on CS4. I've tried the same workflow I use with the DP1 with all my other compacts (LX3, GX100, TZ4, P6000, etc) and none could hold the candle near the DP1. I find that the DP1 is the perfect compact camera for people who like to shoot plain, expose well and then take it to the next level on PS...whereas all other compacts I've tried kind of forced me into a specific look right out of the camera.

fordfanjpn

I know I'm going to get stoned to death for this one but I ALWAYS shoot jpeg with the DP1. I can say that one of the many many reasons I love the DP1 it's the way it's jpegs handle what ever I throw at them on CS4. I've tried the same workflow I use with the DP1 with all my other compacts (LX3, GX100, TZ4, P6000, etc) and none could hold the candle near the DP1. I find that the DP1 is the perfect compact camera for people who like to shoot plain, expose well and then take it to the next level on PS...whereas all other compacts I've tried kind of forced me into a specific look right out of the camera.
That's very interesting. I think I'll give that a try. I have never actually tried the jpeg's out of the DP1. I just assumed that they would fall apart when I tried to tweak them in CS4. I know that happens with all my other cameras. So do you set the camera for B&W or shoot color and convert later?

Bill

bubuli

really? all this time, i know JPEG is JPEG...there's just so much information (dynamic range) you can store in a JPEG (8-bit). experience has taught me that you have about half exposure latitude for JPEGs *regardless* which camera it came from...perhaps i need to be educated about the special sauce in DP1 JPEGs...or maybe i'm all wrong about what I know about JPEGs all this time. :D