The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tale of two Raw Processors

Lili

Same file, from my S6000fd, left at default settings. ISO 3200.
S7raw (nice Fuji Specific freeware)

Finepix Studio, this is the DL'd Vista version, seems to do just a bit better than the in-camera jpeg engine, at least at max ISO

In-Camera Jpeg engine

Same scene, differing night still ISO 3200

S7raw require manual correction for barrell distortion. I like it rather better for hi-ISO but the resulting file size, at highest quality, is HUGE- 23mb :bugeyes: just under 7mb here tho. S7raw gives more visible but fine-grained noise and much cleaner detail, no smearing. Can anyone recommend a stand-alone noise reducing software?

Last edited:

mazor

S7raw definitely is better for detail. For reducing noise, a good dedicated program would be noise ninja or Neat image. Neat image seems to be able to effectively remove more noise but sacrifice detail, whereas Noise ninja is a littl more conservative, but retains alot more detail, ie less smudgy.

Both programs flexible in terms of removing chroma and luma noise. Remove noise to your personal preference.

mazor

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Lili,
Noise Ninja is good...all programs kinda smear somewhat......
With NN, forget the profiles...just process each image as a stand alone image...the program will profile each image and you get better results....I use to use it all the time but with the DP1...no need....

shooter

Lili

Don and Mazor, thanks awfully, I do have PE CS4 and Noise Ninja ought to wok there as a plug in. I am doing some Band shots (yes Don I will have living, breathing and moving PEOPLE in my shots for once, LOL) and the bridge cam offers adavantages like silence, high-speed flash synch and useable live view for this kinda work, if I can at least keep the 'grain' relatively fine that will work, sorta GRD look ;)
BTW my GRD batteries are not holding charge anymore :confused:
sigh

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Lili,
There is a process to restore the batteries.
I will try to find the book on it and send you a copy.
Basically, you shock the battery with a car battery and that
moves the crystals in the battery. I have done it many times
and saved many.
don

Lili

Thanks Don :)

Jpeg made via S7raw, B&W conversion done in Silkypix. ISO 3200, nice tight fine grain pattern noise, makes me very much think of my GRD at hi ISO, save the Ricoh only goes to ISO 1600, the Fuji at 3200 is about the same
w00t!