The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First month with an LX2

H

helgipelgi

Thought I'd post up some pictures from my Lumix LX2 that I've been carrying everywhere since I got it about a month ago.

First some pictures in 16:9 -- I absolutely love this aspect ratio (although I find that vertical shots work better in 3:2/2:3).

Sorry for the picture flood btw., I'm greedy!

And a couple of shots in 3:2 as well:

My impressions of the LX2 after a month of using it are mostly positive; at first I found it a bit small and fiddly to use (I assume it was designed with petite japanese women in mind, and I am none of these), but have gotten around it by using the LCD to rest my thumb. Holding it like that makes it easy to use one handed, and I'm now able to handle it fairly quickly.

For ultimate stealth I put it in MF mode, focus at around 2-3 meters and carry it so that the lens sits between middle and forefinger, using the thumb for the shutter. I've yet to try this out properly, but so far the results have been interesting. One sneaky little trick I've just thought of is to hold it like that in my right hand, and then bring it up to my left wrist as if to look at my watch, pressing the shutter at the same time (heheh).

L

Lewis

These are cool...the 2nd one, bench, goal post and last shot are my favourite. Really Nice! Great composition too:)

T

TMGraphics

Go to a store that sells those LCD clear cover protectors for the PSP handhelds and trim it to fit the LCD screen of your camera. Will help keep the original surface of your LCD. Works for my camera and you can not even tell it is there. Make sure you get the 2 pack because it is 'sticky' all over the surface and not just on the edges.

Thomas

Last edited:

Maggie O

Why would you need to put plastic over the glorious glass screen of a Leicasonic? Or does the Panasonic not have the glass and does the Canon-style bare LCD?

nostatic

I put a protector on my dl3 and promptly took it off. I've beaten the crap out of my iPhone since new and the glass still is perfect. The dl3 display seems to be in the same ballpark. The protectors really hamper the view imho and since that's all you've got to frame...

T

TMGraphics

Why would you need to put plastic over the glorious glass screen of a Leicasonic? Or does the Panasonic not have the glass and does the Canon-style bare LCD?
The LX has a glass back identical to the DLUX, I just like to protect my investment from myself! There is no loss of image quality that I can see.

Maggie O

I put a protector on my dl3 and promptly took it off. I've beaten the crap out of my iPhone since new and the glass still is perfect. The dl3 display seems to be in the same ballpark. The protectors really hamper the view imho and since that's all you've got to frame...
Yeah, my D-Lux 3 screen has withstood the rigors of living in my purse with nary a scuff or a scratch. I see no reason to cover it.

H

helgipelgi

I don't see a reason to cover up the screen either, a nice hunk of glass like that is probably a lot less prone to wear than hard plastics.

Anyway, I've now put it up for sale and ordered a Ricoh GRDII -- can't stomach the wastefulness of owning two new high-end compacts, but if it doesn't sell I'm going to keep it as a dedicated mountain biking camera. Relatively inexpensive if I crash and break it, and the 16:9 aspect is awesome for landscapes

H

helgipelgi

Don't count me out just yet -- I'm flakier than cornflakes and have decided to keep the LX2.

So I justified the purchase of a new camera by putting the old one up for sale, and then called off the sale when I'd pulled the trigger on the new one and it was too late to cancel.

I'm awesome

Photon-hunter

Don't count me out just yet -- I'm flakier than cornflakes and have decided to keep the LX2.

So I justified the purchase of a new camera by putting the old one up for sale, and then called off the sale when I'd pulled the trigger on the new one and it was too late to cancel.

I'm awesome

If I ever grow up I want to be like you!!;)

Erik.